Wednesday, January 12, 2011

January is National Organizing Month

What is it about the month of January that makes you want to reorganize every square inch of your home? Is it the accumulation of all the new stuff over the holidays? Is it the cabin fever you feel from being stuck in your home day after day? Whatever it is...it seems like everyone I know has been on a cleaning/organizing rampage. Myself included.

So when my Mom forwarded me an e-mail from Franklin Covey announcing that January was National Organizing Month, I had to read their tips and ideas. Included in the e-mail was this awesome day-by-day calendar with daily tasks that you can do to start getting organized...

{click here for the html copy of this calendar}

I know we are already 12 days into January, but I figure you could tackle two tasks a day or continue into February if you needed to. Some of these organizing tasks I haven't done in MONTHS! Like yesterdays task: Organize your e-mail. I have a serious problem with not deleting e-mails, especially junk e-mails, so when I checked today...I had 896 unopened e-mails still sitting in my inbox. I KNOW! Isn't that sad? That is how I lose important e-mails in the process I guess. I just always think I am going to need a coupon for a certain store or website so I keep them, thinking I will delete them later. But then I don't. So I can see I need to get to work on that task.

I also like the idea of keeping a hard copy of addresses. I know I have everything on my phone and computer, but it's nice to have an actual address book too. My poor address book is so out of date...some people have moved 3 times since I last updated it. YIKES!

And finally...the biggest task on my list is to organize my hobbies. I apparently have until January 22 to do this, but I better get started now because my crafting, scrapbooking and giftwrapping "nook" in the basement is a DISASTER! And now that I am going to learn to knit (and possibly sew) I will need space for those things too. Whew! Target storage isle...here I come!

Anyway, if any of you are in an organizing mood like me, I thought you might like looking at this calendar. It reminds you of some areas that need tending too and puts the pressure on to complete them. And really...what better time to do this when the weather is crappy anyway. Stay in and be productive! Until next time my little organizing buddies!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my word. This is heaven. I've been in ultra cleaning mode. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my head, I think about these things...but that's as far as it goes. And I wish it weren't so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on an organizing rampage the last two days! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been on an organizing rampage the last two days! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so with you!! I'm the organizing queen and my house is driving me nuts!! Thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh geeze, well... I'm with Di. I am having a realllly hard time getting motivated. What is my problem?!

    ReplyDelete