Sunday, January 16, 2011

Learning to Walk...and Drive

Has anyone seen my baby? I have absolutely no idea where he went. I just woke up today and this sweet little toddler was driving around my living room...


I just can't get over how fast time flies when you are having fun. One minute Blake was this tiny little peanut hanging out in his Jumperoo all day and now he is this little energizer bunny that is into everything!!! He spends his days eating (he has become a total pig at the dinner table), talking (he is saying mama, dada, nana, papa, hi and Uh-oh), climbing (he is a BIG fan of climbing the kids table in our kitchen), playing (his new favorite toy is his pick-up truck) and moving.

For weeks, Blake has been pushing toys all over the house. When he first started walking with his toys I thought it was only a matter of days before he was walking on his own. But weeks went by and he would never do more than stand independently for a few seconds and drop to his knees. I suppose there was no point for him to learn to walk when he could speed crawl at about 60 miles an hour :-)

But when he hit his first birthday and still hadn't taken his first steps, I was wondering if he would ever get the hang of it. Turns out all he needed was a little encouragement...and a bribe or two.

Like I said, Blake's Little Tikes pick-up truck his is new favorite toy. He LOVES crawling in and out of it, putting his toys in the back bed, and then "driving" all over the house. He also likes getting out and pushing his truck down the hallway. Well, when the wheels get moving on the pick-up truck, it kind of takes off. Blake, not realizing this, was pushing it pretty fast today and when the truck started going a little faster than he was, he let go of it. Luckily, the pick-up ran out of room and stopped at our fireplace. Blake was about 3 steps from the truck and I was sure he would do what he always did and drop to his knees to crawl to it. But this time, he looked at me...still standing. I started clapping and told him to walk. He just smiled and stood there for a minute but as I kept clapping...he TOOK A STEP! And then another! And then another!! 3 steps in a row!!!

I couldn't believe it. He was so proud of himself he actually started clapping too. I wanted to see if I could get him to do it again so I grabbed a snack-trap of Goldfish crackers (his favorite) and waved them out in front of him. And again...he took 2 steps! I'm so proud of my baby boy today. I can tell he wants to walk more but just doesn't have the groove down yet. But if he is anything like his sister, he will be cruising by the end of the month.

Lord help me :-)

2 comments: