Monday, January 31, 2011

Menu Monday: Mini Meatloaves with Sauteed Garlic Brussels Sprouts

A while back, my friend Chelsi started "Menu Mondays" on her blog and I thought it was a great way to not only share recipes, but also keep track of menus and ideas. So I'm stealing her idea. Thanks Chels!

I think the best way to work this post (for me anyway) is to share one meal recipe, and then include a list of what I plan to cook for the week. If anything on my menu looks appealing to you, let me know and I can make it a future Menu Monday feature.

I will always do my best to share where I got my recipes, but just know ahead of time that my three favorite places to look are: AllRecipes.com, My Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, and my Sister-in-Law Diana. She actually gave me a binder full of her favorite recipes a few years back so you know I will be busting those out :-)

So...this week's meal is Mini Meatloaves with Sauteed Garlic Brussels Sprouts.

What you will need for the Brussels Sprouts:

* 15 sprouts, halved lengthwise
* 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
* 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
*3 cloves garlic, crushed
* Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
* Salt and pepper

Step One: Melt butter and olive oil in a medium skillet (over medium-high heat) until butter is foamy.

Step Two: Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and cook until lightly browned.

Step Three: Add sprouts cut side down, cover, and cook without stirring on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until tender. They should look like this in the pan...


The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned...


You can then toss with fresh parmesan cheese if you like (I have had these with and without the cheese and it is delicious both ways).

Now for the meatloaf. Here is what you will need:

* 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
* onion, chopped
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2 8oz cans tomato sauce
* 1 cup soft bread crumbs
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
* 2 tablespoons dried parsley
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Step One: Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Step Two: Prepare topping by combining the last three ingredients (plus one of the 8oz cans of tomato sauce). Your sauce should look something like this...


Step Three: Combine all other ingredients. {RawMeatPhobia Tip} Because fondling raw meat makes me want to puke in my mouth, I found that using rubber gloves helps my gag reflex :)

Step Four: Form mixture into 8 mini meatloaves (using a mini bread pan works great but you can also use a 13x9 baking pan) and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes. DO NOT use the topping yet.

Step Five: When time is up, drain any excess fat and cover each loaf with topping. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.

Your mini meatloaves should come out looking something like this...


I also whipped up some potatoes to go with this meal and it was DELICIOUS!! You have to love meatloaf and brussels sprouts to enjoy this dish, but before you say, "My kids or husband will NEVER eat this", just know that mine did. And they are all SUPER picky :-) Let me know if you try it!

Before I go, I promised to share my menu for the week. Let me know if anything strikes your fancy :-)

Monday: Cheddar Dogs with Sweet Potato Fries
Tuesday: Beef Stew with Bread and Herb Butter Spread
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Parm Crusted Tilapia with Rice and Veggies
Friday: Pizza!!
Saturday: Already have dinner plans :-)
Sunday: Taco pie

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Love it! I haven't done one in a while... this will motivate me. :o) This meal looks delish! I'm not a huge fan of the raw meatloaf mixture either... meatloaf is one of our faves so I will definitely be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm-o...I can already tell I'm going to love menu mondays!!! I may have to get your taco pie..my hubby and kids love anything that has the word taco in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen- Cheddar dogs? Are they hotdogs with cheese? Yummy! The taco pie sounds fascinating, and I would love to eat the beef stew although I am pretty sure my sons would turn their noses up at it! I seriously need to eat now after reading the menu and looking at the delicious photos. I am totally trying the brussel sprout recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I just realized that 'plan' really is a four letter word! ;o)

    Good job, sis!

    ReplyDelete