Monday, January 3, 2011

a ONEderful party!

When I was pregnant with Blake, I use to get pretty upset with people when they would make it seem like having a Christmas birthday is a bad thing. Is it a busy time to have a birthday? Absolutely. Was I a liiiiiiitle stressed having another BIG party so close to the holidays? You bet your sweet a**. But what I loved about having a party in the middle of all this chaos was the excitement still lingering in the air. The kids were all still on their Christmas high, and even though the parents were exhausted, this gave them another opportunity to eat, drink and be merry. Overall, I would say it was a fabulous day for everyone :-)

Now, I know I promised to talk about all the fun decorations my mom and I put together for the party, but I decided I would save those for another post. But just to tied you over...here is a look at the adorable snowman flag my mom made for the goodie bag table...


As you might have noticed from Addie's party, when it comes to first birthdays, I like to follow my husband's modo of "Go Big or Go Home". I like to put up cute decorations, plan fun activities, and invite as many people as I can. Judging by previous parties at my house, I knew we had to limit our invite list to family and close friends and even that resulted in 40 adults and 14 children 4 years and under. Trust me...you don't know chaos until you have 14 small children running around your house. Ha! Even Blake was a little overwhelmed at first...


But as soon as he saw his buddies Presley (with my cousin Lisa)...


Gracie...


And Evie (with my cousin Kris)...


He was a happy camper. In fact, all the kids were happy little peanuts that day! I'm sure it had nothing to do with all the new toys they had to chose from. These kids just played...


And played...


And played.


You know...while Addie bounced :-)


Even though this party was geared towards the kids, I think a lot of the adults had just as much fun hanging out. Here is Blake with his God-Daddy Uncle Adam...


And here is Addie goofing off with her God-Daddy Uncle Ryan...


And speaking of goofing off...here is Pops wearing the birthday hat that everyone told me was too "girlie" for Blake. I think he wears that hat pretty well don't you think?


After all the kids (and adults) got some food in their bellies and had a chance to burn off some energy, we decided to let Blake open his gifts. He had some really fun things waiting for him too. Eric and I got him this great Little Tikes Pick-up Truck and Mima and Papa Steve got him his new Land of Nod chair...


Uncle Adam and Aunt Di got him his first camo coat and a gift certificate to Cabellas to buy more camo gear. You should have seen Eric's eyes light up at this gift :-)


Blake got a TON of wonderful gifts. He got some adorable clothes, shoes, gift certificates for more clothes and shoes once spring and summer stuff comes out, some great books and toys, some money for his college fund and more!!! As you can see, we had quite a stack of gifts to go through so I recruited some helpers...


And they had no problem helping Blake open his presents =)


In fact, once Blake opened the Mickey Activity Plane that our friends Jeff and Barb got him...there wasn't anything else that he cared to look at. Ha!


Which is fine because all the other kids actually helped Blake play with his other stuff. Addie read one of his new books on his new chair...


Gracie, Evie and Nolan helped take the Pick-up for a test drive...


But in the end...who needs toys when you have a cardboard box to play in?


It turns out Blake did enjoy one other gift that day. The race car Uncle Ryan and Aunt Meagan gave him got a LOT of use. Uncle Adam pushed him around forever and then cousin Jill took over when Adam's arms were ready to fall off...


In case you were wondering where the kids got all this energy...it was from this snowman cake my Grandma made...


It was suppose to be just for this little birthday boy right here...


He waited patiently while we sang to him...


But as soon as we blew out his candle...he dug right in...


An so did the rest of the peanut gallery...


Eric and I were able to sneak in for one more picture...


Before Blake demolished the rest of his cake...


This is the face we got when we tried to take it away :-)


And this was the face that Brennan gave us when we asked him to share his cupcake. Ha!


In addition to snowman cake, cupcakes and Oreo icecream squares...we also had some DELICIOUS snowcones to enjoy! The kids had flavors like cherry and grape, but the adults had a little something extra in theirs. Do you think Richard and my cousin Jill had the adult snowcones?


What about my cousin-in-law Sarah? I'm not too sure...but that look says it all don't you think?


Even though he was on sugar overload, we let Blakey have his popsicle AND a taste of snowcone. This is why this little guy has been on sugar detox for the past few days :-)


Before heading off to bed after a FABULOUS party, Blake gave Great Grandma a big hug...and then I jumped in to give him some love too.


And then Nana jumped in on the group hug :-)


It's hard to believe that Blake's first birthday has already come and gone. You spend so long planning and preparing for something and then in the blink of an eye..it's over. But to be perfectly honest, I am SO looking forward to the downtime that is ahead of us in January :-)

I realize looking at all of these pictures that Blake is one lucky boy to have so many friends and family members that love him so much. I just want to thank everyone who helped us celebrate his special day, even those of you that left sweet birthday message here and on Facebook. I can't tell you how much we appreciate it :-) Here's to another happy healthy year for our little man. WE LOVE YOU BLAKE!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great party friend!!! Can't wait to see all the fun decorations!!! What a blessing you are all to each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little Beekster!!! It's true, you are so lucky to have a great big family to celebrate with! :) I can't wait for those crazy birthday parties!!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had so much fun at Blake's birthday! I'm sad I didn't get any pictures of the kids together. I was too busy chasing Connor around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet party! Our daughter's 1st bday is the 25th and our son's 5th the 30th of this month! Craziness. We also love to have big birthdays and invite everyone! Always a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all Blakes party details !! Too cute! Can you believe he's one ?!? Caroline's birthday is tomorrow and I may just cry all day today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post almost snuk past me! Yes it was a housefull, but it was great organized chaos! I actually didn't get scared! Now that's sayin' alot!

    You guys did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just can not believe it has been a year since "Beek" came into our lives.I just love that boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! It really was a great party!!

    Kate - We are super blessed :-)

    Chels - DOn't worry...you will be planning insane crazy fun birthdays soon enough :-)

    Tara - I actually did a terrible job taking pictures that night! I should have hired a photographer. Haha! There isn't even a group shot of all the kids, which I ALWAYS remember to take! Oh well...at least we have the memories :-)

    Di - I am incredibly impressed with your level of calm that night :-) And I appreciate the compliment. Organizing chaos is not easy. Hahaha!

    Marie - Happy birthday to your kiddies!! That is a LOT of craziness :-)

    ASC - No worries...I cried too. Our babies are TODDLERS now!!!

    Pops - And he loves you too Papa!

    ReplyDelete