Friday, March 25, 2011

Aunt Diana's Mini-Me

On Wednesday, I told Addie were going to Aunt Di's house to eat mac & cheese and play with baby chicks this week. She has talked about NOTHING else since then, so you can imagine how excited we all were to get to Aunt Di's today. I wish I could say the kids took their time eating the delicious homemade mac & cheese she made, but they were just too darn excited to get outside...


I gotta tell ya...I was a little worried about how the kids would react to the baby chicks. I mean, I think we all know how I am with wild animals...


But to my utter surprise, BOTH kids weren't scared one bit!! I couldn't believe how well Blake did with them...


You know...until he tried to rip one of their heads off. Don't worry...the chick is fine :-) He just doesn't know the meaning of "gentle" yet.


But Addie does. We talked a lot about how tiny baby chicks are and how she has to handle them VERY gently. Aunt Di gave her a little lesson before we went out to the coop too and Addie listened to everything we said. She was SO sweet with them.


She did so well, Aunt Di even let her hold one by herself.


She named this little guy, "Pluto"


And she named this one, "Hot Coco", which is not to be confused with just plain "Coco"


After Addie got to hold the chicks herself, she wanted to do EVERYTHING by herself. But Aunt Di was so patient. She taught her how to hold out feed for the chicks so that they could come up and eat out of her hand.


But then of course she wanted to get a scoop of feed herself...


And feed it to them herself...


She laughed so hard when the chicks came up to her hand. It was really cute. I just couldn't believe she was so comfortable with them!!! Aunt Di called her the "Chick Whisperer". Ha!


I really think Addie is going to be spending a lot of time at Uncle Adam and Aunt Diana's farm. She isn't afraid to get dirty, or hold animals, or get busy in the kitchen...


Tell me Addie doesn't look like a mini Aunt Di in this picture?


We really had such a fun morning and I can't wait to go back and play again soon. I have a feeling we will be spending a LOT of time there this summer :-)

Thanks for the yummy lunch and chick time Auntie Di! We had tons of fun!

3 comments:

  1. Now there's a little Farm Chick in the making! Kissing a Peep and everything!

    Can I just say how proud I am of all the brave little soldiers today? Great job!!! You too, Mom!!

    This is what memories are made of ya know!

    The dirt is alwasy available any time they want to roll around in it :o) I am at least good for that!

    Thanks for coming today, I really enjoyed it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - Addie and Di look exactly alike in that picture...from the mouth to the hairstyle! So glad the kids loved the peeps. Good think your arms weren't any longer. The peep would have been out of the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, all your posts make me feel GOOD about life. If I'm having a down day, I know I can read about you and the family and feel better. Those little chickies really cheered me up! Thanks again for a wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete