Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Poor Howie

Yesterday was a looooooooong day. We started off the morning with ballet, which went fairly well, but still not a stress-free activity. And then when I got home, I had a message from Howie's groomer that I should call his vet.

You see, Howie has been limping since Sunday. I thought he just pulled a muscle jumping off our bed or something because other than the limp, he didn't seem to be in much pain. He wasn't crying or messing with his leg. It didn't hurt to the touch and he wasn't bothered by us moving it around. I was willing to wait another day or two before calling the vet, but when the groomer said he wasn't putting any weight on it at all, I thought I better take him in to be sure.

Well, it turns out my little bugger has a torn Cruciate Ligament :-( As soon as the vet mentioned it as one of the options I knew. That's just my luck. And Howie's luck. And the worst part is that in order to fix it, this little man will have to have surgery!


It's either surgery or a full body brace for the rest of his life. Well, even though the brace is WAAAAAYYYYY cheaper than the surgery, it's no quality life. So surgery it is. This will now blow the budget I have been working so hard on lately, but it has to be done.

When something like this happens, it's easy to be down in the dumps. Why Howie? Why me? If only he hadn't jumped off the bed. If only I would helped him down like I do most mornings. Woulda, coulda shoulda.

But then I try really, really hard to imagine how this could have been worse. What if surgery wasn't an option and we were forced to put him to sleep? What if this injury would have happened to one of the kids? What if...what if...what if. In the grand scheme of things, this is a small problem. We can fix Howie. He will be okay. I just feel bad for the little guy. Surgery won't be fun for him (or me) but we will survive.

You know...it was a darn good thing I had a ladies night out scheduled for last night because I NEEDED it! I saw some great friends, had one (or three) delicious martinis and the best part....MY KIDS SLEPT THE NIGHT! I feel better this morning and am ready to start getting things in order for my little buddy. If you can, please keep Howie in your thoughts and prayers over the next few weeks. I will keep you all updated :-)

5 comments:

  1. Our little bugger keeps beating the odds! Howie will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :{ Poor little guy! Well at least you can plan for this little hospital visit and not have an emergency scare like the last time, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww....that's no good! I hope the surgery goes well and Howie's back to his normal self real soon!

    Way cool about the kiddos sleeping through the night for you! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. POPS will sit with his little buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Howie! You have a great outlook though!

    ReplyDelete