Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Prayers & Things We Take for Granted

Over the weekend, my mom and dad had a date night to celebrate my Dad's birthday. After they were done with dinner, we had them over for some DELICIOUS birthday cake so that Addie could sing for him. We were able to capture a really sweet video...


As I sat here watching this video with Eric tonight, I realized that we take a lot of things for granted sometimes. For starters, I have had two friends lose their fathers this year and that alone makes me realize how special and wonderful it is to still have my Dad here with us to celebrate moments like this.

I also realized that we take one VERY special gift for granted every single day. The gift of sight. The fact that we can see these moments and watch them whenever we want is an absolute blessing. But we don't always think about this gift unless we are forced to think about life without it.

Last week, my Dad went to see his eye doctor because he has been having trouble seeing out of one of his eyes. As it turns out, my Dad has a detached retina. He has no idea how it happened or exactly when it happened, but his doctor said that he needs to have it corrected immediately.

So...my Dad goes in for surgery tomorrow afternoon and even though this is just an outpatient procedure, it is very serious. His doctors told him that he could end up having his vision totally restored, or lose it completely in that eye. All we can do is hope and pray that the procedure goes well and that my Dad's recovery is productive. The poor man will have to look down for 7 days. He can't look straight ahead or look up...he has to look down and sleep on his stomach with his face in a donut! My Dad is a very active man so I am thinking the recovery will be MUCH worse than the procedure itself. But he knows his recovery depends on him following the doctor's orders so him and my mom are busy rigging the house for his looooong week ahead.

I have faith that God will get him through this, but it never hurts to send lots of prayers and positive thoughts his way :-) So if all of you have time tonight and tomorrow, please say a little prayer for my Dad and keep him in your thoughts. Pray for a safe surgery and a productive recovery. Pray that the doctors and nurses are at their best tomorrow. Pray that in a matter of 7 days, he will be able to see just as well as he did before this happened. Thanks in advance friends! I will keep you all posted :-)

7 comments:

  1. Addie and Blake are adorable in this video! I'm so glad that you were able to capture it! Dad will do fine. His hardest part will be recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking about you and praying for your Dad. I am sure all will turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be praying for your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandpa had the same surgery about ten years ago. I don't remember how the recovery was but I know his vision was fine in the end. Praying for the same for your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha!!! I love Addie... "Happy Bifday to youuu"

    Been thinking of you today!!! Praying for good news.

    ReplyDelete