Monday, March 7, 2011

To My Addie on Her 3rd Birthday

When you were just a baby, everyone told me how much you looked like Daddy. I could see it too, but I wouldn't let myself admit it. You were my daughter and you were suppose to look like me (just like I look like Nana). But the minute you came out with that pouty little mouth and big hazel eyes...I knew you were daddy's girl.

You still have Daddy's beautiful eyes, but a lot has changed in the last 3 years. You went from this adorable, chubby, bald little baby...


To this sweet, sassy, lanky little girl.


I looked at a picture of you this summer and thought, "Oh my gosh...Addie is turning into ME!"


I know you will deny this for as long as you can (I was 27 before I could admit that I was just like your Nana), but trust me honey...you may still look a lot like your Daddy, but you are SO like your Mommy. Just look at the evidence:

You Love to Party

You kind of lucked out by being born into such a big family of partiers. We don't let a single birthday or holiday go by without some sort of celebration. But if I had to pick one event you like best...it's birthday parties. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that you love blowing out candles...


Eating special treats...


Hanging with your friends and cousins...


Wearing party hats...


And licking the frosting off cupcakes.


You are such a little social butterfly and I love that about you.

You Love to Clean

Please don't assume that your love of cleaning has anything to do with being a neat freak because you are just like your mama in that department too. We love to clean and organize, but we are perpetually messy and disorganized :-) Oh well...at least I can always count on you to help me dust...


Mop...


Sweep (while wearing cute boots)...


And do the dishes...


Some day we will be organized girlfriend. But for now, I am just happy to have a half-cleaned floor once in a while :-)

You Are Completely Sassy and Full of "Addietude"

Your Dad called me "Sassy" on one of our very first dates, so I guess it comes as no surprise to him that you are developing the same attitude and personality. You have been, and always will be, a total drama queen. You also love to dress the part....


You also love to act silly and push people's buttons. But I sincerely hope this is the only picture I see of you with a "censored" bar around your body. No Spring Breaks for you my dear! Mommy has been there...I know what goes on.


You love to pretend like you are a supermodel. I use to dress up and do fashion shows ALL the time and I can see we have a lot of those in our future. You already have your "Blue Steel" expression down...


And speaking of expressions, you already know how to give the, "Are you serious??" face to everyone and anyone that tries to make you do anything you don't want to do...like look straight to take a picture...


You are just a girl that likes to do things on her own time. I didn't even have to convince you to potty train. You just decided you were ready one day and thanks to Nana and a very successful potty chart...you were in big girl undies a month after your second birthday.


And when you were done with your crib and wanted a big girl bed of your own, you told me. I thought the transition was going to result in a bunch of dramatic bedtime breakdowns but it didn't! You were just...ready!


But just because you are a girl that does things on her own time DOESN'T mean Daddy and I let you do whatever you want, even when you give us your famous "Addietude"...


You are strong willed and independent (just like me) but you are also realizing that sometimes it just isn't worth putting up a fight. And boy do you FIGHT us when it comes to naptime and bedtime these days. You will beg and plead with us to stay up because you "aren't sleepy" but as soon as we turn our heads, this is what we find...


But all your sassiness and attitude aside, you really are one of the sweetest, friendliest, happiest little girls and I hope that never changes.


You Are Totally Accident Prone

I really, really wish you wouldn't have inherited this trait from me. I have been accident prone all my life and it looks like you are following in my footsteps sweetie. We had a couple freak accidents this year (nothing too serious, thank God) but you did have to be knocked out for the first time.

You got into a little bouncy house collision and your neck was bothering you a lot so the doc wanted to take a closer look with an MRI. When we got to the hospital, you were actually excited to put on your gown and play in the PEDS playroom.


But after your sedation wore off and you realized you still had an IV in your arm, you reacted the same way your mama would have (and did)...


Luckily, you also got your mama's resilience and bounced right back from your boo-boos. I do hope you grow out of this clumsiness, but even if you don't, I will always be here to take care of you.

You Love to Be Outside

Okay...this trait may be more from your Daddy, especially since you became his fishing buddy this year...


But I do love being outside too, especially when it pertains to water. You, my dear, are obsessed with playing in water. Every time we went to the zoo this year, you would beg Daddy to take you by the "Elephant Squirter"...


And whenever there was a Splash Pad in sight, you had to throw on your suit...


We also spent a LOT of time in Nana and Papa's pool and I know we plan to do the same this year...


Even though you love water, you had just as much fun this fall and winter. You loved running in the breeze and playing in leaves...


And you would spend hours in the snow if Daddy and I would let you. Even when the blizzard came this year, you helped Daddy shovel all the sidewalks.


I hope you always stay this fun little outdoorsy girl :-)

You Always Make Time For Your Best Friend

I don't think Aunt Dana and I could have ever imagined that our two little girls would someday be best friends just like we are...


But here you are, with your best girlfriend in the whole world...


Watching the two of you grow into little BFFs this year has been so much fun. You literally do everything together...


You go on sleepovers together...


You trick-or-treat together...


You play together...


I think you two are more like sisters than cousins...


And that makes Aunt Dana and I very happy :-)

You Love Being a Big Sister


From the moment Blake came into your life, you took on this very motherly role with him. You watch out for him and protect him (except when you push him for touching your toys. Ha!).


You love to teach him new things and I am pretty sure you are the one that got him to crawl for the first time...


You show him unconditional love, even when he resists...


And cuddle with him every chance you get...


He is the first person you ask for every morning and trust me honey...Blake is just as excited to see you :-)


Being the big sister, I always looked out for my brothers and I am so happy that you are following in my footsteps on this one honey. You are the BEST big sister in the world :-)

You Love to Dance

Let me clarify that. You love to dance...but didn't always love going to dance class. You had a hard time letting go of me when you first started and I wasn't sure if you were ready. But luckily, you stuck close to your cousins and learned to be a big girl....


And now you have a wonderful group of ballerina buddies and you can't wait to go to class each week.


I don't know if you will always love taking dance class, but I hope you always love dancing with me :-)


You Are Mama's Best Friend

There will come a day, sweetie, when you won't want to be seen with your mother. You will be "too cool" for me and that's okay. I understand. I did the same thing to your Nana :-)

But...there will also come a day when you realize that I am the best friend you will ever have. It may take you all of junior high and high school to figure this out, but I know you will get there. And in the meantime, while I am still your best friend, I want to thank you for supporting me in everything I do.


You were there for me at my very first race and I LOVE how every time I put on my running shoes, even if it is just to go run on the treadmill, you say, "Good luck at your race mama! I love you!"


You may only be 3-years-old, but you are definitely my best friend sweetie. I love you more than words can ever say.


Happy Birthday my sweet baby girl. I wish you another healthy, happy year full of wonderful memories.


7 comments:

  1. seriously, Jen. was making me cry on a monday necessary? :)

    she is such a beautiful little gal and i am so happy that she is such a gem for y'all! happy birthday, addie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you even made pops cry a little. what memories.
    Happy birthday Addie!!
    love always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was super sweet to read, Jen. She's going to LOVE being able to have these blog posts to read some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh darn it Jen...I am a puddle! So sweet. It makes me want to convince DH for a 3rd tomorrow, and jump through all sorts of hurdles to get a sweet bundle of pink! You are both very lucky to have each other...I know you will always know that, and so will Addie! Happy birthday Addie...I hope you get to blow out thousands of candles in your lifetime, and savor each one like you do at three! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these things you feel for Addie are exactly what I felt for you! And you truly are MY best friend! You and Addie will go through good times and bad as she goes through different ages, but remember that when she comes out the other end as an adult she will love you unconditionally!!! Happy birthday to my wonderful granddaughter! She makes me so "hoppy."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww Jen that was so cute! I can't believe how big she is getting. I remember like it was yesterday coming to the hospital with all the girls to see you and Addie! I love you both so much. And I can totally see you in Addie every single time I see you to. Happy Birthday to the cutest little 3 year old!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED this post!!! She is just too cute:)

    ReplyDelete