Friday, April 1, 2011

Remember that 8K I Signed Up For?

Yeah...that race is NEXT WEEKEND!!!!! When I signed up for the Shamrock Shuffle back in January, I was convinced that I would be back to running 3 times a week and would be MORE than ready to pound out 5 miles.

Fast forward 3 months and I am no closer to 5 miles than I was back in December when my chubby, post-holiday butt was planted on the couch. Whoops!

To be honest, I'm not that worried about the race. I have run a few times in the past month and I was still able to do 3 miles. But 5 is very different than 3. I guess I am just hoping that with 40,000 other runners, someone will be able to just push me over the finish line....


And if I have to walk some of it...then so be it. It will still be a fun day in the city with my SIL Dana and my running buddy Joe. Who knows...maybe the beer and food at the end of the race will help me pick up the pace?

If nothing else, I am hoping that this race will motivate me to get back into my running routine. I miss it. I am really hoping that the adrenaline of race day and the Spring weather that is surely around the corner will get me back in the groove.

So...is anyone else out there just starting to run? Anyone starting the C25K program? Any C25K graduates (who fell off the wagon this winter) looking to get back on the road? I could use some new buddies to get me motivated again!

7 comments:

  1. Yes, I so need to get back on the wagon! I am looking forward to our new neighborhood, it is really nice & FLAT!!! Plus, my mom, MIL and 2bffs will only be bout 15 minutes away so I know they'll help me keep on track if I need buddies. I've lost ten pounds this past month so I'm definitely getting excited for spring! :o)

    So... what will Joe's video selection be for this group trip into the city? Hmmmmm? Not going to take Di's shaggin' wagon? Well maybe you'll just need some sort of special soundtrack to pop into the CD player? HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have nothing to worry about...you will do AWESOME!!! You've already run a few 5K's....a 5-miler isn't much more. Remember, much of running is mental...keep focused...you've got this one!!! GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded the C25K app to my droid phone. Just used it today, because I generally "overdo it" when I run. I used Pandora in the background, and absolutely loved it. The program has a bell to tell you when to change pace!

    I am running a 5K in a few weeks, but wanted to use the program to pace myself, instead of just doing long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself running to the wine fridge daily. Surely that adds up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that snuk up fast!

    Good luck and have fun racing to the beer line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! Your body knows what to do and the energy from the crowd will carry you through the finish line. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies!!! I'm sure I'll make it through...but I may need a cocktail before AND after. Ha!

    And Lins...running to the wine fridge counts in my book :-)

    ReplyDelete