Sunday, July 17, 2011

50 Miles in 4 Weeks & BBQ Detox

So we've been pretty busy around here lately. Lots of BBQs, family parties, playates, etc. and as we all know...summer get togethers don't always have the healthiest selections of food. Hello cheeseburgers, hotdogs and chips-n-dips :-)

This was the first weekend in a long time that we didn't have any plans and KEPT IT that way. We took advantage by doing lots of relaxing and playing with the kids. We did take care of a few chores but other than that, we took it easy (and are still taking it easy as I type this on my couch :-)

I think one of the best things about staying home this weekend was having the opportunity to detox some of that party food. For all the running I have been doing lately, I should be in tip-top shape! But when you consider all the garbage I've been eating...it's no wonder I haven't really seen the scale move.


But speaking of running, I am VERY proud to say that I hit a new goal for myself this week! About a month ago, I decided that I needed some kind of motivation to get me out the door when I was feeling tired. I wasn't really digging the Bridge to 10K program like I thought I would, so I decided to set a Nike+ goal to run 50 miles in 4 weeks. I thought I would surely be able to get over this 4-mile rut if I had a certain mileage to hit. The first week I had two solid 4 mile runs and then by the third week, I kicked it up to 4.5 and then this past week, I ran my first 5 miles straight! No walking!! I did it for the second time this morning and it felt great! Nike+ even gave me a "medal" for reaching my goal.

But now it's time to set a new one. The reward for reaching my goal this time was a new pair of running shoes. I have been trying to decide on a pair for a couple of months now and I FINALLY decided to stick with my trusty Nike Air Pegasus. They didn't let me down this whole year and I have already been fitted for them so I thought what they heck...I'll give them another go. Plus, when I managed to find them for $58 (vs. $90) I was totally sold! These are the ones I scored such a great deal on.

The colors are a little bright, but Eric told me they make me look fast. Haha! They are just as comfortable (and even a little lighter) than my last pair so I'm very happy. Oh, and like I said, I got them for a steal. Dana's SIL Nikki is an avid runner and when she found out I was looking to buy new shoes, she told me about this fantastic website called Holabird Sports. I like to think that I am pretty savvy when it comes to finding online deals and the cheapest I could find these Nikes (in my size of course) was about $79. So when I saw that this website had them for $58 (no tax, no shipping) I was pumped!! I managed to get my new shoes, insoles, and a pack of socks for just over the price of these shoes on Nike.com. Woohoo! Thanks for the great tip Nikki!!!

So like I said...I need to set a new goal. One of my New Years resolutions was to run more often and possibly work up to a 10K or 15K race so maybe I should just set a new distance goal this month. I can run 5 miles now and it would be awesome if I could get to 6 miles this month and be able to run it comfortably. If I could get to 6, would it be so hard to get to 9 by November for the Hot Chocolate 15K? Yikes! That's 3 5Ks back-to-back. Not sure if I can handle it. But it's fun to try! And now that I've got my new shoes, I'm ready to go :-)

So has anyone else started running this summer? My good friends Barb and Jenny are already on weeks 4 and 5 of the Couch to 5K and Barb is going to attempt her first race with me this Thursday! She thinks it will help her motivation and I couldn't be more proud of her. My BFF Tara has also started a new running program and has promised to come to Chicago this fall to run her first 5K with me. WOOHOO! Oh, and my BFF Mandy has also signed on for her first 5K in October and she is going to smoke me. Her and her hubby are straight out of a fitness magazine. Seriously people. But I am still so excited that we will get to run a race together :-)

Well that's all I have for today friends! Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jen! I'm excited yet scared because of how hot it is going to be outside! I have to say if it wasn't for your push... I doubt I would be doing this! Thanks for the encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you know lots of new runners (me included :)! Depending on how much we drink on Tues. night, I may have to try to run on Wed. morning before HP. I haven't gone for a week with hurting my foot and being in Chicago for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. would be the Chinese-equivalent involving Tweets (Elp) The particular scope associated with Exxon Mobil Corp Kate playfully gave Burberry cheap William the push, as though in order to thrust your pet in the water Brian Schweitzer, that organized Nike Air Jordan Cheap to expedition your harmed locations Mondy Species of fish in addition to Wildlife staff in this area known nike air jordan shoes questions on wild animals influences with an Exxon Mobil spokespersonForeign musicians are actually scrutinized following Icelandic artist Bjork Nike Air Max shouted "Tibet!Inches after a 08 live performance inside Shanghai after having a track referred to as "Declare Freedom"A Air Max Shoes one who molds absent can certainly endure many daysMicroblogs are required to erase doubtful blogposts"I'm relieved I am Air Jordan just still living, nevertheless I am afraid for anyone exactly who are not found but,In The Pacific Ed Hardy Gas & Power Company

    ReplyDelete