Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Farewell Harry Potter!

I was 20-years-old when I picked up a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the first time. My mom had a copy of it, along with The Chamber of Secrets and The Prisoner of Azkaban. I made fun of her at first for having these "kiddie books" but when some of my other friends in the English department started talking about them (and the movie that was about to come out) I figured why not give them a try.

I ended up reading all three books in one weekend. I couldn't put them down! The nerdy, English-major side of me was in love with the writing. J.K. Rowling was (and still is) one of my favorite authors. I look up to her for not only her talent, but also her passion and determination. If you have never read about how she got started with Harry Potter and how hard it was for her to sell her first manuscript...you should really take the time to do so :-) She is an incredible woman.

Although I tried to play off my interest in these books as an "English major thing", the truth is that I was in love with this story. I was in love with Harry, Ron and Hermione and I honestly felt like I knew them. I felt like I could throw on my Hogwarts robe and wrap my Gryffindor scarf around my neck and join them for a game of Quidditch. I waited impatiently for each new book (and movie) to come out because I couldn't wait to know what happened to my friends next.

Okay...you can all call me a dork now. I'm fine with it. But I think you would be hard pressed to find a Harry Potter fan that doesn't share the same passion I do. I mean...it's been 10 years since I picked up that first book and I can still remember every time I waited in line at the bookstore and every time I anxiously drove to the movie theater with my BFF Tara to see the next flick. 10 years is a long time to love a series and a group of characters. And when I think about all that has happened in those 10 years (graduating from college, getting my first big-girl job, meeting Eric, marrying Eric, having our babies, etc.)...it's hard not to be sad that it's over! I'm not good with goodbyes.

And that is why I knew I would probably shed a tear or two when Tara and I watched the LAST movie today.


And I did. But only twice I swear :-) I just couldn't help myself. The movie was SO good. And as we walked out of the theater with the Harry Potter theme music playing in the background...I think Tara shed a tear too. Or she was just sad that her Junior Mints were gone. Either way...it was emotional.

And what do people do in the movies when they are feeling emotional and have to say goodbye to someone?

They make-out of course.

So Tara gave Harry a little smootch before we left.


And so did I.


I know what you are thinking...two grown, 30-year-old women kissing a Harry Potter poster outside a mall?

Nut jobs.

But hey...cut us a little slack okay? We are in mourning.

But in all seriousness, Tara and I had so much fun today and even though I am a little bummed that it is the end of an era, I am so glad that Tara and I have all these memories together. Harry Potter is one of the first things we bonded over when we became friends 7 years ago and to this day, she is one of the best friends I have ever had. So I guess I should thank Harry Potter. Not just for being my "friend" all these years, but for bringing me closer to one of my best friends.


Thanks, once again, for being my HP companion today Tara! Here's to 7 years of friendship and many MANY more to come :-)

8 comments:

  1. I remember giving you that first Harry Potter book! It seems like only yesterday. So happy that you and Tara have gotten to share this together! There is nothing like a best friend to share a passion with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I can't believe how many major life milestones we've been through together, and I love that HP is one of them :) I love that you are as big of a nerd as I am! Now we just have the last two movies of the Twilight series before we have to say good-bye to those too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I also enjoy how it looks like I'm sticking my ta-ta's out at Harry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say that I have not read the Harry Potter series but I love the way you write your posts Jen. I can't wait to read your book one day!! P.S. Because of the sunlight and the wind blowing your hair you and Tara look like models in the poster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay I can comment again! Work must have figured out your website is not scandalous or dirty :)

    I loved the movie so much! I cried when Harry gets the resurrection stone and his family appears with him! Oh man, I am going to go see it again before it's out of the theaters for sure! (And don't even get me started on the final Twilight movies!!!!)

    Also, you are so skinny! You look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I hate to admit but I have not seen any of the Potter movies. Gasp I know. I plan to watch from movie one with my hubbby...who has seen them all and read all the books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..u really love harry....i think i just get bored on harry potter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, maybe it was all the smooching w/ HP that wouldn't let me get thru??? Dirty birds! Sorry I missed it, but we gotta go!

    ReplyDelete