Wednesday, July 27, 2011

For Someone Who Won "Best Dressed" in High School...

It's pretty sad how unstylish I've become. If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, then you've already heard this complaint. I've felt like a bit of a frump lately, and I'm sure this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am just days away from my 3 year anniversary as a Stay-at-home-mom :-) I gladly retired my Banana Republic dress pants for Old Navy sweatpants a long time ago, but I always swore that I would try to be a put together full-time mama.

When I made the complaint about my frumpiness on FB, lots of my very sweet friends posted comments reassuring me that I am in fact "stylish" but I really think it's only because I carefully choose which pictures to post online. I mean, you see plenty of me at family parties or girl's nights out but those are the times where I actually tried. I am more referring to my every day style. The stuff I wear to Target, the grocery store, kid outings, around the house, etc. That has gotten SAD my friends. S.A.D.

It's bad enough that I recycle the same ratty tank-tops and tees, paired with my favorite Target running shorts, every single day. But then when you add in the fact that I don't shower every morning, do my hair OR wear make-up most of the time...AH!

Hot mess.

But what's a girl to do? I've sort of lost that fashion bug I had when I was working full time (and had the budget to afford it) so I find myself just standing in my closet every morning with a stupid look on my face. I have no idea what to put together anymore. And the problem really isn't that I don't have clothes, although I complain constantly that I have nothing to wear. The truth is...I have a lot of clothes. And accessories. But no matter what I put on lately, it just seams boring!!

My SIL Meagan brought something to my attention a few weeks ago that may be the answer to my problem: I need some color in my life. I have always been a sucker for neutral colors like black, gray and tan and lately I have been obsessed with Navy. But all those drab colors day in and day out can get pretty BORING!! But I would be lying to myself if I said that I could ditch my neutral colors all together. I LOVE my navy :-) But I do like the idea of adding pops of color to make my wardrobe more fun.

So...step one will be for me to at least chose clothes that are not of the t-shrit/athletic genre. Even a pair of jeans is a step up these days. Ha! But if I could go one step better, and break out some comfy leggings and tunics, I could pair them with a bright sweater. For example, I really love this purple color from the Boden fall catalog.


In fact, I have been seeing a lot of purple lately. I already sent my mom a link to this sweater for her next knitting project. How cute (and easy) would this be with jeans? This is something I could wear to drop Addie off at preschool and then run to storytime at the library with Blake.


And how fun is this yellow color?


This could be my new teaching outfit for the fall. That...and this one for dressier occasions...


But let's get real. Most of the time I don't have anywhere fancy to go, but I love how comfortable dresses and leggings are and I need to find more casual ways to wear them. How cute is this with a sweater and denim tunic?


Since we are on the subject of fall, what better way to add color to my wardrobe then buying a pair of Hunter wellies?!!

But...the neutral practical side of me says that if there is one thing I need to add to my closet this year, it's a pair of FLAT riding boots. I just can't do heels anymore :-)


It all seems so simple doesn't it? Take my boring clothes and add a pop of color for style. Could a hot pink scarf really style up a plain black tee? Or could a purple cardi really take my black Old Navy cotton summer dress from drab to fab? I suppose there is only one way to find out!

So...does anyone else have some simple style tips to spice up a wardrobe? Any accessories you really love? I know I can't be the only mama out there looking for some tips and tricks :-)

3 comments:

  1. I scour pages 1/2 the day looking for tips! I do think color is a great place to start and the one thing I've noticed is accessories really make outfits look different. I've started particpating in the WIWW Challenge and that helps keep me on track too so if you don't get involved in it, look it up and see what you think. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in future posts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love leggings! Just as comfy as sweats but throw on a bright top and your good to go. I know how you feel though. Your closet definitely undergoes a huge change when you move from working woman to SAHM. :-) Its all good though!

    ReplyDelete