Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Every Day May Not be Good...

It's been an exhausting week so far...physically and emotionally. I have Eric on overtime, two busy kiddies who miss their Daddy and want CONSTANT attention, a crazy schedule of our own (preschool, ballet, my class, etc.), and of course, I've had my mind consumed with thoughts of my friend Tara.

When I went to her Dad's wake tonight, I expected to find her in the condition I left her in on the phone the other day. But when I walked in, I saw her smile and that just made my night. That's not to say that there weren't tears tonight, or that there won't be many more to come. But Tara is amazing. And strong. And I know she is going to make it through this. 

While we were walking around looking at all the picture boards of her Dad tonight, I came across an adorable picture of her parents kissing in a park. Her parents were so happy and so in love and Tara said that she is finding comfort tonight knowing that her Mom and Dad are finally reunited. We shouldn't be sad that he is gone, but happy that he is finally back with the love of his life. Leave it to Tara to find the sliver lining in this whole situation. That's what I love most about this girl :-)

Driving home, I got to thinking about silver linings. It's just so exhausting to spend a whole day thinking about everything that is going wrong, and not take the time to be happy for all the things that are going right.


So I tried to think of everything that has overwhelmed me this week and give it "The Tara Spin".  I could be sad that Eric is working all this overtime, or I could be grateful that he has a wonderful job and that all this overtime will help us pay for the FABULOUS family vacation we are taking in just a couple months.

I could complain about our busy schedule during an already crazy week, or I could be thankful that Addie is doing SO WELL in preschool and dance!! She has been such a big girl these past two weeks. She is adjusting to preschool like a champ and I just pray it continues because it makes life so much easier when she is excited to do these things.

And finally, I could also get easily frustrated for being on my own with the kids while Eric works these long hours, or I could be incredibly grateful for my amazing parents and in-laws who are chipping in to help me. My mom and dad have already put in some long hours with the kids this week and they will be putting in a few more hours tomorrow so that I can be there for Tara. Honest to God...I don't know what I would do without these two :-) And seeing Tara say goodbye to one of her parents this week makes me that much more grateful to have them here with me. I love you SO MUCH Mom and Dad!!

Well friends...I should really leave this post on a high note and get some much needed sleep. But before I go, I just want to say thanks to everyone who has prayed for my friend Tara and her family this week. It is much needed and much appreciated :-)

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to look at each day. It is so easy to get down and see the negative. Thank you for reminding us to find the good in each day.

    Prayers for your friend Tara. Losing a parent is so very hard. The image of her parents reuniting in heaven is such a lovely image. Glad she is finding the good through the tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. We love you too! I'm just glad that Dad and I have our health to be here to enjoy our grandkids. You know we are always here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. I have been keeping you and your friend Tara in my prayers this week Jen. What an awful thing to have to live through.... I do want to add one story..

    My Great Grandma and Great Grandpa were not well off by any stretch of imagination, but they made it work. My grandpa tells this one story of how my Great Grandpa had a really long yell fest about how much everything cost "now a days" (you know in 1940s and all) and how all his money was just going to bills....and my Great Grandma (who sounds a lot like your strong friend Tara) just looked at him with a smile and said, "Isn't it such a blessing we have the money to pay all the bills?"

    I mean it sounds silly, but when I write out my bills (aka pay them online by magic) and I see the balance of the check book near the 0 mark, I try to think of my Great Grandma and the blessings in everything. :-)

    love you friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie - Thanks so much for your prayers and sweet words :-) It really means a lot.

    Mom - I know you guys are...and that's why I love ya!

    Kate - I just want to drive over and give you a big hug. You are such a sweet friend and I appreciate your story so much. Your Great Grandma sounds like a smart lady :-) Thanks for sharing friend. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete