Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Salute to Working Moms

Tomorrow morning, my sister-in-law Meagan is going to put on her brave face and head back to work. When I asked her how she was doing the other day, she said she is sad that she won't get to spend all her days at home with Owen, but she is also excited for this new adventure. Owen is going to a fabulous daycare right at Meagan's work so she will be able to ride to and from work with him, have lunch with him, and check in on him whenever she can't take it anymore :-) She has a great set-up for the two of them and I just know that they are going to be in a great routine in no time.

But as I sit here thinking about them tonight, I can't help but wonder...

How on earth do working Mom's do it?

Aside from my one-night-a-week teaching gig (and the lesson planning and paper grading that comes with it), I am a full-time mom. I get to be home every day which means that even though I am chasing kids, wiping faces, making meals, playing Barbies and playing cars about 98% of the day....I am also able to get the occasional load of laundry done. Or I'm able to squeeze in a trip to the grocery store. Or I'm able to get one or two productive nap times a week where I can catch up on other cleaning, organizing, etc. But what I want to know is, how do working moms find time to do these things AFTER a long day of work? Or better yet...where do they find the motivation?

I know the great debate is always "Who works harder...the stay-at-home-mom or the working mom"? I am not even going to touch that question with a 10 foot pole because I believe ALL moms work hard. But what I will say is that I can't imagine being responsible for almost all the things I am responsible for on a daily basis AND work a full-time job at the same time. It takes a strong, motivated woman with incredible multi-tasking skills to raise a family and have a career at the same time. I am so proud of all the working mommies in my life. I don't know how you ladies do it :-)

And to Meagan...who is busying laying out clothes and packing diaper bags tonight...I hope you and Owen have a wonderful first day back to work. Praying for a smooth, happy transition for both of you. Love you both bunches!!!


5 comments:

  1. Meagan and Baby O will do great! I will be thinking about them all day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder that same question on a daily basis! I am a stay at home mommy of three children and I feel that I rarely have a second to myself now, I can't imagine throwing a full time career into the mix also. **Cheers to the working moms**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Stacy and you are saying Jen! I really don't know how they do it! I give them so much credit because that is a lot on their plate. Good luck to your sister in law and Owen! He's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a sweet post. I currently work part time and while I wish so badly I could stay home full time I remember to be thankful that I still get to be home the majority of the time. I keep telling my husband I need to get on some sort of anxiety medicine because there is no way I can do it all, between the expectations that are put on me at my office job and then the expectations at home I put on myself I always feel behind - but I honestly think it would be that way whether I worked outside of the home or not. Does that even make sense? Basically I love this post, thats all :-)

    ReplyDelete