Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Last Time I was in The Magic Kingdom...

I had feathered bangs, pink plastic glasses and some killer high-waisted pants.


It seems like a million years ago and yet I can still remember how excited I was to be there. I still remember being in charge of the autograph book (even though my mom kept telling me I was NOT in charge). I remember my parents taking us to Kennedy Space Center and watching a shuttle launch. I remember spending all of my vacation souvenir allowance within the first 10 minutes of being there. I bought a Winnie the Pooh bean bag plush set. Addie was just playing with my Piglet the other day :-)

A lot of people have asked me why we decided to take the kids to Disney while they are still "too young to remember". The truth is, I don't know if they are too young to remember. Sure, they may not remember what they wore, what they ate for breakfast, or even which characters they met. But one thing is for sure...they WILL remember the magic of it all. I believe this is the perfect time to be taking my kids because when we meet Mickey...we will really be meeting Mickey. And when we meet Cinderella...we will really be meeting Cinderella. I mean...how long is that kind of magic alive?

I suppose a lot of my desire to take the kids now has to do with a dream...a dream to take my kids to Disney World and show them the time of their lives. I guess I just couldn't wait any longer to make that dream come true :-) And now that the moment is almost here, I can't help but think back to all the great memories our parents created for us. I can't help but look at these scrapbooks and reminisce. And some day, I hope that Addie and Blake can sit with their kids before their first trip and show them silly pictures of themselves and remember...at least a little bit...about how magical it was. I know I will remember that forever :-)

6 comments:

  1. AW! That's so true, about really meeting the characters. I love it! Have a fantastic time, I want to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your trip! I have been to Disney World twice as an adult, but I never went as a kid. We are taking our girls (2&3 years old), along with grandparents and cousins, this summer and everyone keeps asking why we aren't waiting until they can remember! I think that we are going to have a blast and ya'll are too!!!! It is so fun during the holidays!

    (p.s. I posted the "keep calm and think Disney" after you posted it yesterday. I just couldn't help myself now that planning is in full swing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok so it may have something to do slightly with the fact that I haven't slept in two months but I cried this whole post!! It is SO sweet! I can't wait to hear all about how wonderful the trip is...and I can't wait to take my sweet girls one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will promise you that you will never lose the magic. I'm 23 years old and have been there about 8 or 9 times. There is something about being in that place that gives you the feel of being young and just filled with magic! If I could I would work there the rest of my life!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I'm dying over those pics! Hahahahaha. Can't wait to see all the pics! I have been to Disneyland several times but my first trip was when I was 8. It was so awesome that first time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% cried through this post. You and I my friend are birds of a feather. Isaac still talks about being at "Mickey's House". It was one of the most magical things ever, and I do NOT regret for one milisecond taking him at 2.5. It was all 100% magic. I hope you have the time of your lives!

    ReplyDelete