Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Delicious, EASY Holiday Snack Mix That's Perfect for Giving

A lot of people are on the hunt for the perfect, simple, inexpensive gift to give neighbors, mailmen, teachers, friends, family, etc. and I have a recipe for the most delicious and EASY snack mix ever.

You only need a few simple ingredients...


The first step is to mix all ingredients except the chocolate chips. You will need:

2 cups Chex Cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
1 cup cocktail peanuts
2 bags M&Ms (choose holiday colors for fun)
1 bag mini pretzels


As you will see, the recipe makes quite a bit so once I mix everything together, I like to separate it into two big bowls.

Step two is to heat 3 tbs. vegetable oil and the 2 bags of white chocolate chips in a small saucepan.


Stir constantly to keep from burning until the chocolate is smooth and creamy.


Then just dump the melted chocolate into your bowls and mix really well until all pieces are coated.


Immediately after stirring, spread the mix out on parchment or wax paper to cool.


Cooling only takes about 10 minutes or so and then you are ready to enjoy! Look how delicious...


You can share this mix a million different ways, but I love how it looks in mason jars. So that's what I bought this year, along with some ribbon and a cute label.


See how easy? That one recipe filled 10 mason jars PLUS a container for us to munch on at home. Those 10 jars only took one spool of ribbon as well (10yrds) and 2 sheets of labels. You can also create your own label, or you can borrow mine by downloading it here.

Obviously, these jars are cute enough by themselves, but I decided to put one in with Addie's teacher gifts. I know I went a little overboard this year with craftiness, but these baskets were so fun to put together!!


I saw lots of ideas on Pinterest for teacher gifts and there are some fun ones out there. But I didn't think any of them were just right for a preschool teacher so I decided to put a bunch of ideas I saw together. I decided to make a basket of treats that represent each of the letters that Addie has learned in school so far (they learn a new one each week). They have only been through 9 letters so far so this was easy. If they had been through the whole alphabet by now, I might have been in trouble. Ha!

And your teacher basket doesn't have to represent something specific. I just think putting a letter on each treat is cute all by itself. It can make even something as boring as a bag of popcorn look cute. All I used here was a strip of scrapbook paper and a label that said "P is for..." and attached it.


See? Way cuter than a plain old bag :-)


Is it obvious that I am addicted to punching? So...what is everyone else doing for teachers, neighbors, postmen, etc?

Hope you love the snack mix everyone! Happy Hump Day!

15 comments:

  1. This is seriously ca-ute!!!
    Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute girl! I want to try that snack mix, I always make muddy buddies but they're COATED-these look a tad healthier (well, less butter and sugar at least!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! These sound delicious and there so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done chocolate covered popcorn like this as well. I use colored white chocolate (red and green for the holidays) and people LOVE it! Where did you get the mason jars at? And the teacher gifts are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Heather - You can find mason jars at Wal-Mart in the canning section. They also sell them at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, but they are usually cheaper at walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing this.... im going to shop to make a snack mix as xmas presents to some officemates!

    your blog is so lovely and nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm...I hope you made lots! You know I love that stuff! Pardon me while I shove my face in a giant bag of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used almond bark in the past, but when I go to mix it I throw my mix into a garbage bag and then pour the melted chocolate or bark in it and shake it. It turns out wonderful and it is a super easy clean up! Just a helpful hint :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jen! I stole your idea! :) Picked up some jars at Michael's today along with pretty ribbon. Added some tags and teacher ornaments and I'm done! The mix was sooo good! I'll have to check out Walmart next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and you just made my Christmas baking easier!! Thank you!! I made a batch yesterday but learned I can't leave it out with my family so I will make another today and guard it while it hardens and package it immediately!! lol So cute! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute ! And great gift ideas! I was wondering on the sheet labels... Where can I get them? I would like to down load yours but where can I get the sheets from?

    Joycie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! Thank you so much for this! I have mason jars I need to get rid of AND I was looking for something homemade to give out to friends this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm wondering about the labels also... Are they circles or just a sheet of labels that you can cut out?

    ReplyDelete