Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Happy 2nd Birthday Blake!!!

The Christmas I was pregnant with Blake is still one of the best holidays of my life. It all just went so fast. One minute I was pregnant...


And the next minute I was holding him in my arms...


I swear that boy came out smiling.


He was the easiest, HAPPIEST baby I had ever known.


No matter where he was or what he was doing...that boy was giggling about something.


He was laid back and content and I appreciated that SO much. His sister was enough drama for the both of them.


But one thing I noticed about Blake during his first year is that he is a man who likes to do things on his own time. I didn't think he would ever learn to crawl and then bam...he was up and moving overnight. It's like he wanted to tell me in this picture, "See mom...if you would just chill out a bit...you'd see that I know what I'm doing!"


I also learned that first year that my boy LOVES to be outside. That's where most of his smiles happened.


I never had trouble getting a good picture of my little guy. He was always ready with a grin on his face. I couldn't get enough of him.


I spent so much time bragging about Blake's happy demeanour his first year...I never stopped to think about what he'd be like as a toddler. But then his first birthday arrived and I didn't have to think anymore. He was a toddler...


And boy was he emotional about it!


I'm not a fan of birthdays anymore either, so I understand his frustration. Getting older sucks!


But it wasn't just birthdays. It was haircuts...


And trips to see Santa or the Easter Bunny...


Hell...even lunch time was too much for this guy some days.


And if he wasn't crying, he was just plain annoyed at times.


Where was my happy, easy baby? Who was this boy and what did he do with my Blake?

I still remember taking him to his 15 month check-up. This is a picture of him that day...happy as can be. Of course he was...I was about to ask the doctor why my son was so whiney all the time and he walks in acting like the happiest toddler on the block. He knew what he was doing.


And that's the thing with Blake. He knows EXACTLY what he is doing.

And if you just let Blake be Blake...he is still the happiest boy I know. He just needs to do things on his own time and in his own way.

For example, I've learned that he likes to mow the lawn alone and think...


He likes to run free and make his own fun...


He likes to be a big boy and do things on his OWN... 


He likes to observe and take things in...


He likes to get his hands dirty and work on projects...


He loves to be in the kitchen and play with food...


I've also learned that if you just give Blake his space and not pressure him or force him into a situation...he will ALWAYS surprise you. He will make friends with a total stranger...


And hug someone when they least expect it...


He will plop down in your lap and cuddle with you at just the right moment...


And even when he's got his hand up and is about to tell you, "NO NO NO"...


He may just be kidding. He could turn right around and flash you that adorable smile that I love so very much...


And the boy does still love to smile. 

And eat...


And eat...


And eat...


And eat :-)


He loves to act like a goofball and make you laugh.


He loves his "Robot"...


He loves his tractors...


He loves his big sister...


He loves his Daddy and helping out with "man chores"...


And of course, he looooooves his Mama :-)


Blake may be a handful at times, but he is FULL of love. He is sensitive and funny and I know that as hard as this stage can be at times...I will miss it someday.


I want to do my best to remember him at this age, just the way he is. My little 26 pound, blue-eyed, blond haired, Stage 5 Clinger :-)

I love you with all my heart Blake! No matter how many years go by, you will always be my baby boy :-) Daddy and I are so blessed to have you as our son. 

Happy 2nd Birthday Big Boy!! Let's go eat some waffles :-)

8 comments:

  1. awwww! Great post Jen! I loved all the crying pics ...too funny!Can't believe he is already 2! Time just flys! Happy Birthday Blake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to the most handsome little boy EVER! I love you Beek!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe he is 2 already! Where did the time go! Happy Birthday, Blake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet post. Happy Birthday to your precious baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy bday! My B is 24 lbs at 16 months. So much for being a preemie LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Blake! Jen what a wonderful post, I seriously can't believe that our little guys are two already. Could he be any sweeter? His little smiling face is so precious. It must be a 2nd born thing, they just want to do what they want to do, when they want to do it. Fortunately they also seem to be given the best smiles in the world, so that they can flash them at us, and get us completely off track at being frustrasted by them! I hope your baby boy enjoys his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet! Happy 2nd Birthday Blake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe he's TWO already!! Happy birthday Blake and mommy! ;)

    ReplyDelete