Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's All About the Little Things

Sometimes I think that people forget that this is the season to be jolly...not a jackass. I've witnessed several acts of complete and utter rudeness this holiday season and it makes me sad sometimes! People not holding doors for you, even though they clearly see that both your hands are occupied with children. People yelling at the top of their lungs at a cashier that can't get her register to take an expired coupon. A car full of adult women giving an old man the finger because he pulled into a parking spot that was apparently suppose to be theirs. He could barely see over the steering wheel for crying out loud! I mean...is all this necessary? I know people are stressed this time of year, but that is not an excuse to be rude.

But then there are times when people surprise you with their Christmas spirit. These are the people that make up for all the rude Grinches out there. I've been lucky enough to witness several acts of complete and utter kindness this holiday season as well and it makes me so happy!! People helping others load groceries into their car in the middle of a down pour. People tipping waitresses $100 on a $20 check. People literally taking the coat off their back and dropping it into a coat donation box for the homeless (that was just awesome by the way. I wanted to hug that man). And of course, people who go out of their way to say "thank you" and "happy holidays" for no reason at all. This happened to me yesterday and I thought it was worth sharing.

As you all know, I've been working with the Oreck company on this fabulous giveaway (which ends tonight by the way!!!) and my contact person has been a woman named Chelsea. She has been such a sweetheart to work with. Very professional, very helpful and very personable. Well just yesterday, UPS dropped off a package that I wasn't expecting. It was a card and pretty little wrapped box.


This is what was inside...


Oreck has already given me a Christmas present this year. Two, actually. They gave me my own steam mop to review and they are letting me give away another one so that I can make someone else's Christmas a little brighter. There was no reason for Chelsea to send me this sweet card and gift, but she did it anyway and I just think that is awesome :-)

You see friends...it's all about the little things. Holding a door, buying someone a coffee, sending someone an unexpected Christmas card, or just saying "Thanks for being awesome". It makes me want to do some little things to brighten someone else's day today. Pay it forward...as they say :-)

So, has anyone else been witness to any awesome acts of kindness this holiday? Anything that just brightened your day or made you want to hug a complete stranger? These stories always give me the warm and fuzzies :-)

5 comments:

  1. Dad and I went to Germanfest downtown Chicago last week and when we were getting in the elevator to the parking garage, we handed a homeless man some money to get coffee or a meal. When we boarded the elevator with 5 other people, one of them said. Wow, that just made us look like jerks! That, of course, was not my intent. It was to pay it forward in a small way for all the blessings in my life. It was a good feeling. Then we immediately complained for having to pay $32 to park downtown Chicago! HA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we left WalMart this morning, my son put some change into the Salvation Army bucket and the man ringing the bell told him thank you and then asked if he wanted to take a turn ringing it. My son's face lit up and he gave it a little shake and the man told him to ring it really loud and he shook it has hard as he could. We thanked him so much. Just something so little means a lot to a little kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a kind gesture! I try to be extra nice during the holiday season and it irritates me so much when I see people being rude. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case more often than not! I hope you are having a great week before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few weeks ago I was at the post office about to drop off a large package to be mailed. Of course I had both girls and had no idea how I was going to bring it in. The sweetest lady (who has 3 of her own) asked if I needed a hand and brought the package in for me (seeing I was very pregnant). I couldn't thank her enough! So so kind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan...that is because parking is way too expensive! That money could be spent in better ways that is why it is frustrating...thanks for paying it forward!

    ReplyDelete