Friday, January 20, 2012

French Onion Soup for a Snowy Day

So...who's a big fan of eating soup all winter long?

ME!!!!!!!!!

I love me some soup when it's cold and snowy outside. But I can't always please the hubs with a bowl of vegetable noodle. He likes richer, heartier soups and one of his favorites is French Onion.

I've never really tried to make my own French Onion soup before but I experimented with a recipe from this blog...



and it was DELICIOUS!!! I didn't bother posting my own pic because even though I loved the soup, it wasn't as pretty as this one :-)

The recipe was super simple to follow. This is all you need:

FRENCH ONION SOUP

4 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
3 15oz can chicken broth
1 15oz can beef broth
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 dried bay leaves
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
8oz swiss cheese, shredded
1 baguette, store bought or make your own

1. In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and salt. Cook the onions, stirring often, for about 30 minutes, or until your onions are caramelized, dark golden brown in color, and syrupy.

2. Pour into the chicken broth and beef broth into the stock pot. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce. Season with a bit of pepper (unless you used a low sodium broth, you probably don't need to add salt). Add in the bay leaves. Scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen up any caramelized bits. Cover the pot and simmer on medium for about 20 minutes.

3. Fish bay leaves from pot and stir in balsamic vinegar. Place a piece of baguette in each soup bowl (you can get 6-10 servings from this recipe). Ladle soup over bread and then top with some of the cheese. Heat bowls under the broiler until the cheese bubbles and browns. Wait a minute or two for bowl to cool down some before serving.

All I can say is YUM!!!!! I did make one small change to the recipe. I used 1, 32oz carton of chicken broth and 1, 32oz carton of beef broth. It seemed to make it a little richer. Either way, it's a perfect winter weekend soup and I seriously can't wait for dinner tonight :-)

We have another laid back weekend ahead of us filled with lots of relaxing, some organizing projects and a smoked beef brisket. Eric used his Christmas gift cards and got himself a smoker!!! We had some delicious ribs last weekend and I am sure we are in for a treat this Sunday. He wants me to take lots of pictures and do a blog post. Maybe I'll even make him write it. Ha!

Happy Weekend everyone! Stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man.....french onion soup is my favorite. I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an extreme lover of soup and definitely going to have to try this recipe!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete