Thursday, August 23, 2012

Country Vegetable Noodle Soup & Garlic Swiss Bread Dip

It's been a crazy long time since I've shared any great recipes on the blog, so I thought I would share two of my favorites with you today. 

The first is one of my FAVORITE soups. I originally got this recipe from my Grandma (who found it in a cookbook she has), but over the past two years of making it, I have tweaked and changed a few things. This soup is wonderful during fall and winter, but I find I make it a ton in the summer too because of all the great produce. You can be as fresh as you want with this, by cooking and chopping all of your own veggies, or you can skip a few steps and save some time by using canned or frozen. I have also found that this is a fantastic soup to make organic, since Organic chicken broth is not that much more than regular.

So here is what you need for:

Country Vegetable Noodle Soup


Ingredients:

2 T. vegetable oil
 1 Cup of chopped onion
3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 cartons of low-sodium chicken broth
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or dice your own fresh)
1 T. tomato paste
3 cups of red potatoes, diced and peeled
3 Cups (or 1 frozen bag) of cut green beans
1-1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 Cups winde egg noodles, uncooked
1/3 Cup fresh parsley, chopped

Steps to Make:

1. In a stockpot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add Onions, carrots and celery and cook covered for about 10 minutes (stirring occasionally).

2. Add remaining ingredients except noodles and parsley. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for about 20 minutes.

3. Stir in noodles and parsley and simmer until noodles and vegetables are tender (about 5 minutes).

Serve with warm bread.

This recipe makes plenty for a meal with leftovers for sharing, packing lunches, etc. 

***

My next little treasure of a recipe was given to me by Eric's Aunt Sue and it is the MOST requested appetizer I make. Someone always brings it to one of our parties and the plate is usually liked clean. You could also have it is a side if you are making a soup, which is why I thought these two recipes worked well together in this post :-)

So here is what you need for:

Garlic Swiss Bread Dip


Ingredients:

1 round Hawaiian Bread Loaf
16 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
16 oz. Sour Cream
16 oz. of Swiss Cheese, shredded
Garlic Salt to taste

Steps to Make:

1. In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream and shredded swiss and mix together.

2. Add garlic salt to taste and mix again, making sure all the cream cheese is blended with the other ingredients.

3. Hollow out the center of your Hawaiian bread and fill with dip. Be sure to wrap bread with foil (like pictured above) to keep bread from getting hard in the oven.

4. Place bread in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour, or until cheese dip is nice and brown. Then remove foil and serve with cut up bread pieces (from the top) and Wheat Thin crackers.

Seriously guys...BEST. DIP. EVER!!

***

Be sure to post and let me know if you try either of these recipes!!!! I am so freaking hungry now. Ha!!

2 comments:

  1. Both of those recipes look amazing and sound like must tries!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thanks for sharing these, lovely! I'm SO excited to give them both a go - in face I had french onion soup tonight for dinner, I'm seriously craving soups somethin awful!

    Quick question: what the hell is a Hawaiian Bread Loaf? Haha!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete