Sunday, August 5, 2012

Our Weekend in a Nutshell: Hometown Fun

When you've lived in the same town your entire life, there are memories around every corner. Every street, every park, ever grocery store...they all tell some sort of story. Our town (and those around us) have grown tremendously over the last 20 years, but there are still a few things that say the same...like our summer festival.

I can still remember having my mom drive me and my friends to the carnival every year. We'd all have new outfits picked out and we wouldn't need more than $10 for the whole night. We would ride rides until someone puked (it was usually me) and eat our body weight in corn dogs and cotton candy.

And things haven't changed. The fest is still one of my FAVORITE weekends of the summer and I still puke on rides and eat my body weight in corn dogs and cotton candy. I mean...you have to! It's tradition right? But there is something so surreal about having our kids with us now. I see their excitement and it makes me feel like a kids again.


We had the best time Friday night and the kids are STILL talking about their favorite rides.

***

On Saturday morning, my buddy Joe and I participated in the Fest 5K for the second year in a row. It's a SUPER small race but we can literally walk to it and it's a great way to burn off all that carnival food. My friends Jamie and Ryan always run this race too and it's nice to catch up with them.

The race itself was a lot of fun. It was HOT as usual, but those 3 miles felt like a freaking cakewalk after running 13.1 two weeks ago. Joe and I had one of our best times this year and...JOE WON A MEDAL! He got 3rd place in his age group and my friend Jamie took 2nd place overall and her hubby took 1st place in his age group. So yeah...I was the only one without a medal but so what! They had TCBY at the finish line :-)


That afternoon, a pretty nasty storm blew through and we were worried that they would cancel the annual fireworks. But luckily...the skies cleared up just in time for a great show.


And then today...we had the PARADE!!! This is usually what Addie looks forward to most. She had all of her favorite people there to watch it with her. Uncle Ryan, Aunt Meagan and Owen even drove down for the fun.

Can you tell the girls are excited?!! They always take the best pictures.


You know...unlike the boys. Blake wouldn't even make eye contact...


And Owen was just like, "Seriously Aunt Jen...WTF? I just want to see some firetrucks"


And pretty soon he did. There were TONS of police cars and firetrucks...


All of which were just a little too loud for this chick.


The parade honestly wasn't as exciting as it was last year (maybe it was the weather?) but there were still plenty of cool things to see. The kids loved the motorcycles...


The "Army Trucks"


The tractors (please notice Uncle Ryan sitting with all the kids. He was just as excited)


The marching bands...


Which of course you know is extra special to Ryan and I because we used to be a part of this parade MANY years ago...marching (and dancing) with the same band.


And then of course there's Uncle Dave...who ALWAYS spoils us with extra candy...


And some extra love...


I think if I had to pick my 2 favorite floats this year...they would be the fitness center...


And the grocery store...


So awesome :-)

***

Now, because no parade would be complete without a bunch of other random pictures...I brought my camera. Some kiddies cooperated very well. Like Nia and Nolan...


And my sweetpea, Addie


And little Owen...


And Nana :-)


But then things got a little dicey. Jacob was juuuuuuuust barely hanging on for this pic...


And then there's Blake... 


Sigh...


This was the best we got :-)


But luckily I was able to get one shot with Owen...


Before he looked at me...


And realized I wasn't his mama...and then he was like PEACE!!


And despite all the picture taking struggles we had...there are some photos that are just too darn cute for words...


When the parade was done, I had one tired little peanut on my hands.


So tired in fact...this little guy couldn't even make it to his bed. 


So now that all the kiddies sleep...it's time I head to bed as well. What a wonderful weekend :-) I hope you all had a great weekend too!

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you had such a nice weekend! And all of your pix are so cute! I love you maxi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun weekend! Lover the flashback pic of you and Ryan. Makes me want to dig out some of my old cheerleading pictures. Oh! The new blog design looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so bad that I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THE NEW RE-DESIGN! It's so happy looking :) I'm glad you had a fun family weekend!!

    P.S. Loving the gray striped maxi dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First things first, I second Nina! That maxi dress is so gorgeous!

    Secondly, I loved this post for more reasons than I care to type out, so I'm going to narrow it down to the most important...
    Everything you said about living in the same small town as you grew up in, that still has the same fun traditions as when you were little...I totally know what you mean. That IS my little New Haven, Vermont. My perfect small-town home. Exactly what you said about taking your kids to the exact same fun fair as you went to as a little girl, that's what I can't wait to do at our Addison County Fair and Field Days. It lasts for 5 days, and it started yesterday. I'll be missing it for the 3rd year in a row and it breaks my heart. I miss the fried bread dough, blooming onions and maple milk shakes. I miss the tractor poles and demolition derby. I miss the shiny fair rides. I miss my family. I have SUCH fond memories of the fair, and when I was 5 and my sister was 4 we were on the front of the local newspaper spinning away in the little drummer boy ride. I can't wait to watch my children do the same.

    This post was precious and I loved all of the pictures :) And just think, someday you'll be able to watch your grandbabies play at the same fair! So sweet <3

    ReplyDelete