Friday, September 14, 2012

Fitness Friday: Toned Arms & Some Apple Cinnamon Steel-Cut Oatmeal to Kick-off Fall


Happy Friday, friends!! Thanks for stopping by today for...


I am super excited to be back this week because word on the street {or Twitter} is that I am going to have a few ladies linking up with me today to share some good healthy fun!! Woohoo!!

Like I said last week in my very first Fitness Friday post...the reason I am starting this little weekly segment is because I have truly enjoyed sharing all of my fitness goals over the years. The support and encouragement I've received from friends and family is the ONLY reason I was able to succeed. I find that when it comes to exercising and eating right...I am only successful if I am held accountable. I need that community of buddies to keep me strong and keep me motivated...especially on days when I DO NOT feel like lacing up my running shoes or passing up cake for carrots.

And at the same time, I have also found that when you start sharing goals {and all of the successes and failures that go along with them}...it starts to inspire others to set their own. My friend Steph wrote me a lovely email after I ran my half marathon a few months ago and she told me that my posts have inspired her to get healthier. I know I am not the only reason that Steph decided to get healthy. That girl is DETERMINED and I have never seen someone so dedicated. But just reading those words and realizing that I may have sparked an interest in someone else made me really happy. And proud :-)

So that's really what this link-up is about. Motivating ourselves and inspiring others. We can share healthy recipes, post our new favorite workouts, talk about the week's accomplishments, or the week's failures. We can weigh in or not weigh in. We can do whatever we want!!!!

For me...I have a few things I want to do each week. I would like to post 1 recipe, 1 new workout, and a re-cap of my week. And of course I'll throw in any other little fun tid bits I come across along the way :-) So here goes!

Recipe of the Week:


I have a confession...

I kinda hate oatmeal. 

I don't know if it's the consistency, or the fact that it's like hot soggy cereal, but I have never been a huge fan. Even when I was breastfeeding both kids and was eating it like crazy to help with my supply, I would have to gag down every single bite. I just couldn't get into it.

But then I started running. And reading running magazines. And when you are trying to get in shape and eat healthy, you can't avoid the word "oatmeal" for too long. So one day, while I was reading Women's Running, I saw a recipe for steel cut oatmeal that was filled with fruit, nuts, brown sugar and everything else yummy you could think of. Suddenly...oatmeal wasn't sounding so bad! So I went to the store and bought all the ingredients.

But I never made it.

Fast forward to this summer when I was doing some serious training for the half marathon. I was pinning away a bunch of healthy meals and I came across the fabulous recipe pictured above. I figured it was finally time to give this a try and I have to be honest friends...it was delicious!! And the best part is that you throw it all in the crockpot at night so when you wake up in the morning, your whole house smells like apples and cinnamon and you have a healthy, nutritious breakfast waiting for you!

And since it's Apple season, this is the best time of year to try it. TheYummyLife gives beautiful step-by-step recipe instructions with pictures so be sure to head over there to pin it or print it. You won't be sorry :-)

Workout of the Week:

Okay...clearly I am a little obsessed with the Tone It Up girls. I post about them all the time but really guys...their workouts are fantastic!! And what I love the most about their routines is that you can do them at home with minimal equipment.

Here is one of their latest routines and since I have really been trying to work on my arms, I thought it was the perfect workout to share!! You can find the video and step-by-step here as well :-)


Weekly Recap:

Only a few things to report this week. I am now 6 weeks away from my second half marathon so I have been plugging away at my runs.

 Just this past weekend, I went out for my 8 mile run alone. I was a little worried about how I would do, especially since I am used to running with a partner, but the run went FANTASTIC!! I did all 8 miles and kept a 10'15 pace. I feel so much more confident this time around in training. I can only hope I will feel that way for all 13.1 miles :-)

In other fitness news, I have officially reached my goal weight and am in all my jeans!!! Man it feels SO GOOD to be done losing weight. I know the bigger challenge now will be to maintain my size, but I am hoping that my new workout regimen and healthier eating habits will make it a little easier this time. We will see!!!

***

Well that's all I have for this week guys! PLEASE feel free to link-up and join us. You can grab the button on my sidebar :-)

Enjoy your weekend friends!

6 comments:

  1. I have to try this oatmeal. I've never been a fan either. I'll let you know what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH JEN. You need to try the baked oatmeal with blueberries and bananas from Skinny Taste! We don't eat much oatmeal around here anymore but that stuff is SO GOOD and really doesn't even taste like breakfast- more like dessert! Oh, and I totally did that arm workout yesterday and I am feeling it today!! Loving this linkup :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'm going to have to try this oatmeal. The oatmeal I posted about is the only kind I'll eat and this looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm exactly the same as you in that I've forced myself to eat oatmeal before because it's 'good for you' but it makes me gag. The only way I can kind of enjoy it is if its filled with brown sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon...which makes it UNhealthy! But that baked oatmeal sounds DELICIOUS! I can't wait to try it!

    Also, WELL DONE on finally achieving your goal weight! High five, sexy Mama!

    Loving this link up, doll! So glad I could participate! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, girly!! :) I'm sure you're going to continue to rock this fitness thing and will continue to be an inspiration to us all! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh! I'm so far behind I didn't even know you were doing this! Great idea. And congrats on reaching your goals! I have never heard of Tone It Up girls but I will have to look them up. I'm soooo ready to get back into working out. I feel so gross right now! lol. And I am totally with you on the oatmeal. I eat it but not willingly!

    ReplyDelete