Monday, September 3, 2012

Our Weekend in a Nutshell: Camping, Meteorology, A Birthday & a Tooth Fairy

If you're from the Chicago area, odds are you know of a weather man named Tom Skilling. I have watched Tom do the weather for WGN for as long as I can remember. I think he is so sweet and funny and he clearly loves his job. Eric actually calls him my BFF because we are Facebook friends now. Ha!

Anyway, Good old Tom had been predicting rain on Labor Day weekend for a good week and a half. Every day I would warn Eric about the crappy forecast and every day he would tell me that Skilling was over exaggerating. We would maybe see a sprinkle or two...but nothing to totally wash us out.

So we packed up and headed out to our club on Friday. By Friday evening, clouds were already rolling in.

It was going to rain.

I could feel it.

Tom Skilling could feel it.

And then Saturday came and the "sprinkle or two" that Eric predicted came down...and came down hard. It poured for a good 4-5 hours straight. 



As much as I love proving my husband wrong, I can't tell you how bummed I was that Tom Skilling was right. We were supposed to have Uncle Ryan, Aunt Meagan and Owen down for their first camping night. We had everything ready to go but because the ground was soaked and there was a chance of rain again later that evening, we had to postpone our party :-( 

If Eric and I had been alone out at the club with the kids all Saturday inside, I seriously would have lost it. The ONLY thing that kept everyone happy was the fact that we were camping side by side with our buddies Tim and Heather this weekend. Here are the boys making the best of it.


Of course this made Addie and Blake SUPER happy too because their buddies Chandler and Carson were there for company. In fact, several of our camping friends were parked near us this weekend so when the rain let up, the kids burned some serious energy together.


The rest of that day ended up being pretty nice, despite a few sprinkles here and there.

The next morning, we got up with the kids and headed out for a nature walk before MORE RAIN came in.

This picture right here is going up on my wall somewhere. I LOVE it so much.


After our walk, we started getting things ready for our second scheduled party this weekend. We decided to celebrate Mima's birthday at the campground and when it looked like the rain was going to miss us, we had everyone come out. We managed to give Mima her gifts...


Eat some dinner and drink some juice boxes...



And sing Happy Birthday.


And then right in the middle of everything, Nia lost her SECOND tooth!!  

I don't know who was more excited. Nia...


Or Addie :-)


Nia actually lost her first tooth the night before so she had her glittered $5 to show everyone at the party. That poor tooth fairy is working a double shift this weekend :-)

So as you can see, we managed to have a fun night despite the crappy weather. It did pour another 5 times on and off while we entertained, but luckily everyone was in good spirits and Mima had a nice party :-)

We went to bed that night PRAYING for some sunshine today. It was hard to tell what the day would bring, but when we woke up and FINALLY saw the sun...the kids went heading right for the beach!


I mean really...where else do you spend the last day of summer?

It's actually hard to believe we are finally at this point. The next time we camp we won't need beach toys, floaties or flip-flops. We will need jeans, sweatshirts and some warm apple cider. 

And friends...I CAN'T WAIT!!!! My pumpkins and fall decor go up tomorrow and I will celebrate the occasion with a big Pumpkin Spice Latte. 

Autumn is here...

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that it rained, but your story about Tom made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy that autumn is right around the corner! :) And how sassy does miss Addie look with her legs all crossed in that picture?? LOL! LOVE It! :) Glad you were able to soak up a bit of sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Is Addie 4 going on 17 in that juice box picture OR WHAT?!?!?!?! Glad you had a good wkend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Is Addie 4 going on 17 in that juice box picture OR WHAT?!?!?!?! Glad you had a good wkend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The childrens are like angels, they are very lovable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete