Friday, October 5, 2012

Fitness Fridays: A Healthy Fall Soup and 15 Reasons to Give Running a Try

Happy Friday friends!! Thanks for stopping by for another week of...


It's true what they say...exercising and eating healthy is not just a diet...it's a lifestyle. To make time for it and to be diligent about it...you have to make it part of your every day life. You have to schedule it, make sacrifices for it, and stick with it even when it's hard and all you really want to do is sit on the couch and eat Oreos. 

Last week I struggled to make eating healthy and exercising a priority. It was the first week in a long time that I really fell off the wagon. I ate like crap, I skipped some runs and guys...let me tell you...I could tell a MAJOR difference. 

My runs early this week were awful. I felt winded after only a few miles, my tummy was upset, I felt dehydrated. And then when you are upset about a crappy workout, the last thing you want to do is eat a healthy meal. Right? So I indulged in a lot of my fall cravings. A LOT of my fall cravings (like pumpkin donuts). And again...I could tell a difference. I was bloated and felt more tired.

So with the help and motivation from my favorite LGN peeps...I got back on the wagon today! I have a busy week ahead of us so the first thing I am going to do is stock my fridge with one of my FAVORITE healthy soups. It keeps well in the fridge so you can make several healthy lunches out of it. 

Recipe of the Week: Country Noodle Soup


I've posted this recipe many times on my blog because it is SO easy, SO inexpensive and SO healthy, especially when you make it organic. You can check out the recipe here. Enjoy!

Workout of the Week: RUN!!!

This week's workout suggestion is simple. Get outside in this beautiful fall weather and RUN! Or run/walk. Or just walk. The point is...switch up your routine and try something new. Running has honestly changed my life and I am SO HAPPY I started the Couch25K two years ago :-) And this is why all of you should give it a try too...

Run!

Weekly Recap:

Like I said...this wasn't my best week in terms of working out. I did workout every single day, doing yoga on Monday and then running Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. But the first 2 runs this week hurt and it was starting to break my confidence. My half marathon is in 2 weeks and I knew that if my 11 miles did not go well today...I was going to be in a bad place.

But once again, after some late night texts with two of my besties and some wonderful support from all my fitness friends, I felt more positive and I went out there today and finished my 11 miles with a 10:32 average pace :-)

I can't tell you all how much better I feel with that run under my belt. Now all we have to do is knock out some weekday runs, a 12 miler next weekend and then it's RACE TIME!!! Next week on Fitness Friday I will be sharing the costumes that we are wearing for the Monster Dash. SO FUN!!

********

Well thanks for stopping in today guys!!! Happy Fitness Friday!!

10 comments:

  1. Such an inspiration! I need to get better at the running, I'm just not addicted yet so everyday it's a struggle blah :/. Can't wait to see the outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara!!! The only thing that got me addicted to running right off the bat was the fact that it was an escape from mommyhood. Haha! I could literally lace up my shoes and run away from my house. It was time just for me...to be alone with my music and my thoughts. And then once I was hooked on running...I never looked back. You will get there too :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this soup! I've been a soup making fool lately and been on the hunt for healthy ones. And yep running is the best thing to ever happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen...SO PROUD of you for your mud run this weekend!!! Way to rock it girlfriend!!

      Delete
  3. That soup looks so good. I love that all the tress are changing this week. I just love Fall!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather you HAVE to try it. It is delicious.

      Delete
  4. Soup looks yummy! I'm thinking that may be on our menu this week! BTW, you my darling, are an AWESOME runner! You are an inspiration to all of us! Seriously, look at me! Happy Friday Girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heart you Steph. You are one of the most supportive friends ever :-) Thank you for being such an inspiration TO ME :-)

      Delete
  5. I had a similar week. I'm so inspired by your runs! There's not a better feeling than getting out an conquering a run even when you don't feel like it. You're really making me want to tackle a half. Once I get through the wedding, I'm going to check out some that are near me and make a decision on whether or not to sign up.

    I'm not usually a soup eater, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna...you would so rock a half marathon!!! You are one of the most dedicated runners I know...there is no way you would do anything less than fantastic. You really should look into a race and make it a goal!!

      Delete