Thursday, October 11, 2012

On Turning 32

Today I turn 32.

I'm 32

I'm Thirty-two

I'm 384 months

I'm 22 + 10 years

Okay...that last one sounds the best, so we'll go with that.

I am 22+10 years old today and although I don't like the sound of that number, I am the happiest I have ever been in my entire life and THAT is something to celebrate friends.

I am a woman blessed beyond belief. 

At 32, I still have both my parents here on this earth. They are there for me EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Whatever I need. I try so hard not to take this for granted because it truly is a gift to have them in my life. They are the GREATEST parents in the world.

At 32, I still have both my in-laws here on this earth. Marrying into a family that you genuinely love with all of your heart is a gift. A rare gift, it seems, and I am grateful for the unconditional love I receive from them in return.

At 32, I have 2 awesome brothers who married two awesome women. Diana is my teacher. She's taught me everything from how to cook...to how to select the perfect blinged-out cowgirl belt. And Meagan is my cheerleader. That may sound silly, but no matter what goal I've set out to accomplish...she's been there to support me and cheer me on. I am lucky to have them both.

At 32, I have a best friend who became my sister. Even after 26 years of friendship...Dana and I still find things to talk about for hours on the phone. She's my running buddy, my shoulder to cry on, my on-call nurse and everything in between. Dana is the peanut butter to my jelly :-)

At 32, I have a beautiful niece and two darling nephews that bring me so much joy. Being an Aunt to Nia, Nolan and Owen is as special to me as being a Mommy. I would do anything for those 3 peanuts.

At 32, I have surrounded myself with a group of friends that are true and genuine. Friends who care about me as much as I care about them. Some friends I've had for years, some I've only known a short while, and some I've never met in person :-) But one thing they all have in common is that they make my life better. Being their friend doesn't take work...and it's taken me 32 years to realize that's how friendship should be.

At 32, I have a wonderful marriage. A marriage that we both work hard for. Although I spend many days relentlessly nagging him for missing the hamper with his clothes or leaving change all over my kitchen counter...Eric is an amazing husband that has given me everything I have ever wanted. And even though he can't always understand my love of Harry Potter or my inability to get organized...he accepts me far who I am. A crazy, dramatic, talkative, high-strung, mathematically-challenged hot mess. And for that, I am very lucky :)

At 32, I have two healthy, beautiful children that call me Mommy. Addison and Blake are the two BEST gifts I have ever been given. They are the loves of my life and I would not be complete without them. They have changed me in so many wonderful ways and all I pray is that the two of them are as happy and blessed as I am when they are my age.

At 32, I live in my dream home. It's warm, it's cozy and it's perfect for our family.

At 32, I have the perfect career. I get to be a stay-at-home-mommy by day, a college English teacher by night and an Etsy shop owner with my Mom all the moments in-between :-)

At 32, I am the healthiest I have ever been. Not the skinniest or the fittest...but the healthiest. For the first time in my life, I am working hard to take care of myself. Trying to eat right, running, exercising, setting goals...it's made me a better person.

At 32, I am living the life I've always dreamed of. A life that can change in an instant. Reading about that sweet blogger who lost her husband this week puts my life into such perspective. We never know how many birthdays we have...or how many birthdays the people we love have. So we have to try, EVERY DAY, to count our blessings. Live in the moment. Be thankful. Be grateful. Laugh. Have fun. Forget the hard days. Remember the good days. Take LOTS of pictures. And love. Love every day like it's your last :-)

9 comments:

  1. Annnnnnd I'm bawling. I always love your sentimental posts. :-) Happiest of birthdays to you, my dear friend. You're right, friendships shouldn't be all WORK. They should be enjoyable and, most importantly, A TWO WAY STREET. And that is why your birthday gift is going to be a week late. Hahahahaha. Glad you still love me! So glad to have you in my life! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Jen!! This is such a sweet post! I'm turning 30 (gasp) next month and I'm freaking out about it. I understand age really is just a number but this one is hard one for me. Have a wonderful day today my sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!!
    I loved this post. I am also 22 + 10 years and wow, those times when I have to say my age I spiral into "what? That can't be right. I must have done the math wrong!" I feel like a solid 27. Enjoy your day and your many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post, Twinnie! I may or may not have bawled... And I know I've already said this about 80 times and in various ways but, HAPPY 32nd BIRTHDAY!!!! I wish you nothing but the best and it genuinely makes my heart happy to see how blessed you are with such a fulfilling and beautiful life. You deserve that and nothing less!! You're an inspiration and one of my best friends (even though we've never 'met') and I love ya oodles!

    Eat cake, drink wine, munch pizza and cuddle your precious family tonight. Soak it all in - everything you've dreamed of - because you deserve it.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say? she will always be my "little girl" Love you more every day.. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happiest of birthdays to you, Jen!!! Enjoy the simple moments of the day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just made me cry with happiness for you!! :) OK, maybe my pregnancy hormones are raging right now! :P But I'm SO happy for you. I wish you the happiest of birthdays! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautifully said Jen! Happy Belated Birthday and many, many more to share with your wonderful family!!!

    ReplyDelete