Thursday, November 8, 2012

30 Days of Thanks

With all the endless negativity that is floating around social media right now regarding the election, I get so excited when I see someone's "Thankful" posts. Many people on Facebook, Twitter and Blogland are posting daily about what they are thankful for this year and it warms my heart when I see people taking the time to do this...instead of just complaining about the things they don't have.

My sweet bloggy friend Anna is doing a little link-up this month called...


I truly have SO MUCH to be thankful for in my life and I thought this link-up was the perfect opportunity to share some of the things I've been posting about this month. If you are friends with me on FB, you've probably already seen these, but I'll write them again anyway :-) 

Here are my first 8 Days of Thanks:

Day 1: I am thankful for nights out with my girlfriends.

That may seem like a very insignificant thing to be thankful for but as a Mom, I find it really, REALLY hard to schedule time for my friends. We are all so busy and often overcome by mommy-guilt. But whenever we do manage to make the time (like we did last week) we realize just how important it is for us to have that time to laugh and decompress. I am lucky to have so many wonderful girlfriends :-)

Day 2: I am thankful for our wonderful neighbors.

Eric and I have some of the best neighbors in the world. Kind, generous, trustworthy...neighbors like that are hard to come by. We definitely don't take that for granted, especially when those neighbors show up on your doorstep with Lou Malanoti's for no reason :-)

Day 3: I am thankful for family time.

My hubby is a hard worker. a VERY hard worker. He pulls long hours and often has to work on weekends, which can be hard on all of us. But it's the sacrifice we make for me to stay at home with the kids. It's worth it...and it makes the family time we do get together that much more special.

Day 4: I am thankful for the opportunity to run a 5K with my Dad.

To be healthy and able to run is a gift on all it's own. But to be able to do something I love WITH my Dad (who also loves the sport) is an amazing thing...one I am very, very thankful for.

Day 5: I am thankful for food.

If my biggest worry in life is just to figure out what to have for dinner...and not how I will afford food for dinner...I will always consider myself an incredibly blessed woman. To think about all the mothers and fathers out there who don't know if they will have enough money to feed their children is so heart-breaking. I hope we can all remember this, especially when we sit down for our big Thanksgiving feast.

Day 6: I am thankful for my right to vote.

We are lucky to live in a country where we have this right. However, I feel many people took that right for granted this year. My friend Tiffany said that our country's biggest problem isn't our deficit...it's our hate and utter lack of respect for others when we don't get our way. I completely agree with that. This election brought out the worst in people and I only hope that with time, we can get past this and move forward as a country...UNITED.

Day 7: I am thankful for my amazing students.

I LOVE being an English teacher, regardless of the students I get each semester. It is my passion and I would never want to be anything else. But when I am lucky enough to be blessed with a group of talented, creative and enthusiastic students...I just consider that icing on the cake :-)

Day 8: I am thankful for coffee.

Again...silly thing to be thankful for. But some days (like today) I need a lot of it. Coffee is also the best when you can share it with one of your friends. Thanks for the treat today Barb!!

*****

I am really looking forward to linking up with Anna the next two weeks and sharing all the other things I am thankful for in my life.

Happy Thursday friends!!!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh,I love this! I should totally join in the link-up fun as I've been doing it on Facebook anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this would be right up your alley :) You MUST link up next week :)

      Delete
  2. Love it, great list. I just did this as well, though I didn't link up. I think it is SO great that you have been able to run with your dad. What great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole!! I need to head over to your blog today too and see your list. I love that so many people are writing thankful lists...it makes me happy :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking up! I love your "thanks!" You may have to help me on the night out - I don't do so well taking "me" time and I know we all need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really not good at me time Anna. I resist a lot and make excuses not to go. But when I actually make the time, I am SO happy I did! It's good for the soul :)

      Delete
  4. This post warms my heart , possibly because I gave a head nod to each one ;) I love this as always! Oh and i bet a GNO would be epic! Ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think the same when I read your thankful posts Tara. You are always so grateful and upbeat. No matter the circumstance you always seem to look at the silverlining :)

    ReplyDelete