Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cookie & Candy Planning: The EASIEST Holiday Snack Mix You Will Ever Make

Today's task on 100 Days to Christmas is to start gathering supplies and making plans for all the cookie and candy making that is sure to take place in the next few weeks.

Although I love a good Christmas cookie and plan on making several batches of sugar cookies for the kids to decorate, I have become a big fan of Holiday Snack Mix. It's sweet...it's salty...and it makes an adorably delicious gift. It can also be made in HUGE batches so you only have to mess up your kitchen one time.

I actually posted about his delicious holiday mix last year and I got tons of compliments from friends who made it and gave it away as gifts. Here is the post from last year, which also shows how I used my snack mix in Addie's teacher gifts. This year...I have something a little different planned for them so that post will come later :-)

But in the meantime, as you prepare for cookie and candy making, I wanted to share this SUPER simple and delicious recipe.

You only need a few simple ingredients...


The first step is to mix all ingredients except the chocolate chips. You will need:

2 cups Chex Cereal
2 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
1 cup cocktail peanuts
2 bags M&Ms (choose holiday colors for fun)
1 bag mini pretzels


As you will see, the recipe makes quite a bit so once I mix everything together, I like to separate it into two big bowls.

Step two is to heat 3 tbs. vegetable oil and the 2 bags of white chocolate chips in a small saucepan.


Stir constantly to keep from burning until the chocolate is smooth and creamy.


Then just dump the melted chocolate into your bowls and mix really well until all pieces are coated.


Immediately after stirring, spread the mix out on parchment or wax paper to cool.


Cooling only takes about 10 minutes or so and then you are ready to enjoy! Look how delicious...


You can share this mix a million different ways, but I love how it looks in mason jars. So that's what I bought this year, along with some ribbon and a cute label.


See how easy? That one recipe filled 10 mason jars PLUS a container for us to munch on at home. Those 10 jars only took one spool of ribbon as well (10yrds) and 2 sheets of labels. You can create your own label, or you can borrow mine by downloading it here.

I've already stocked my closet with a case of mason jars for this year because I had a hard time finding them once the holidays were in full swing. 

So...what are YOU making this holiday season? Do you have a signature cookie, candy or mix that everyone asks for? Be sure to share!!

6 comments:

  1. I'm totally making this, Twinnie! Yum Yum YUM! I'm a white-chocoholic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. I've never made something like this before. How long does it stay fresh in the jar? If I wanted to give this to our guests on Christmas Eve how far in advance could I make it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making peanut butter cups this year! I haven't made them in a long time though so we will see how they turn out. I am also making my annual peanut butter blossoms, but making them from scratch this year. I am already planning out my baking schedule so that I have things done in time to mail them to my family in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been featured on Whistlin Wednesday at Be Wit'n Wise!!

    If you'd like to read the post please check it out here:

    http://bewitnwise.blogspot.com/2012/11/ww-easiest-holiday-snack-mix-you-will.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! Looks so good and easy. I will have to try this over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete