Friday, November 2, 2012

Fitness Friday: New Motivation for the Holiday Season

Is it seriously Friday already?!!!


I honestly have no idea where this week went guys, but I am glad to be back!!

I dont' know about all of you, but November and December are the WORST months for me to stay on track with exercising and eating right. In fact, I typically fall completely off the wagon these months and try to justify it with the craziness of the holidays. But then January comes and I feel yucky and have to start all over on my fitness goals.

Well this year I don't want to do that! I've worked hard the last 10 months and I really want to do my best to keep that momentum going and stay on track. But that means two very important things:

1. WATCH WHAT I EAT

2. CONTINUE TO EXERCISE

It seems simple enough right?

Well, now that my goal for the year has been reached and I don't have something big looming in the near future, I already feel my motivation going down. In the last two weeks, I have only worked out or ran a handful of times and I definitely haven't been on the healthy eating train. It is amazing how fast you can fall out of a habit.

And for me, the only way to get back into a habit is to challenge myself. That's really what those half marathons were about. But with racing season coming to end, I need a different challenge. One that makes more sense for the busy months of the holidays. One that will help me control this crazy sweet tooth I have!!

So my November Challenge is going to be start logging ALL of my food in MyFitnessPal again. I am not looking to lose any weight, but I really want to maintain this winter. I don't want to have to set a weight loss goal this January and feel sorry for myself for being such a little piggie :-) And I just started yesterday but trust me friends...logging the 900 calorie nachos I had for girls night was NOT FUN!! Reality check!!

This is actually a goal that I want to set for my whole family. Eric and the kids and I all need to start eating better and I feel like it's my job to help them all with that. I need to be better about cooking meals at home and preparing them fresh. We all LOVE comfort food so there is no way I will be able to take soups, stews, mac&cheese, meatloaf or spaghetti out of our winter menu plan, but there are ways to make those meals healthier. So that is where I am going to start.

I sat down last night and started making out our November meal plan. There are several nights this month that we have commitments and will not be able to eat home. But ALL other nights, aside from maybe one pizza night, we want to eat at home. This alone will be a challenge for us.

So while searching for some new recipes to add to the mix, I came across EatingWell.com and found some great HEALTHY comfort food recipes, like this meatloaf right here.


The recipe isn't that much different from my own, which makes me happy :-) Eric and the kids are VERY picky so this transition may be a little hard on them with certain things. The way I look at it is that even if my spaghetti or mac&cheese isn't the most low-cal dish on the menu, at least I am cooking at home and using fresh ingredients. A fatty homemade mac&cheese is way better than driving through McDonalds, right?

So do any of you have any recipe books or websites with healthy recipes that you love? Ones that picky husbands and kids will eat? I'd love for you to share :-)

Now in addition to eating right, I also need to keep working out. Getting outside to run ins't going to be the easiest option through the winter, so I am looking to add to my video arsenal. I already have a few yoga and pilates DVDs, but I want to try something new. Jilian Michaels 30 Day Shred seems to be pretty popular, but I also see that she has a new kickboxing video! My friend Linsey SWEARS by kickboxing so I may have to give this one a go.


Have any of you tried kickboxing? Do you love it, or do you feel like a total fool doing it? Ha!

As much as I have really grown to like doing workout DVDs at home, I still miss classes and getting out for races. Luckily, I still have two left to run this season and the first of those two is this weekend!!!! We are running my favorite 5K ever, which is the...

This will be my third year running this race and I am SO EXCITED about it because my Dad, my BFFs Barb, Tara and Carol, my Aunt Judy, cousins Jarrod and Jill, my buddy Joe and his girlfriend Cathy and countless other friends are running this race. It is going to be one big party!!! And the best part for me is that the pressure is off for this race. I don't care about time or pace...I just want to go and have fun with everyone and FINALLY be able to cross the finish line with my Daddy-O.

Oh...and let's not forget about all the CHOCOLATE at the end!!!

So much for healthy eating. Ha!

Happy Friday guys!!

9 comments:

  1. Try Skinnytaste.com
    Healthy recipes with great flavor - I use her recipes all the time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki! I just spent the last hour going through recipes. I have like 10 new meals to try this month. Thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  2. I need to run a race with chocolate at the end!! We have to work on healthy eating/not-eating-out-almost-every-night-because-we're-busy at our house, too. I'll be linking up later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I posted this Anna, wondering how you were doing with healthy meal planning. It's SO hard to plan when you feel busy all the time. And girlfriend...you've had a pretty good excuse lately with the wedding and all! We can keep each other motivated :)

      Delete
  3. Jillian Michaels dvds are the bomb! A friend and I meet at least 5 days a week in our small town community center to sweat to Jillian. We started with 30 Day Shred, and have bought several of her other dvds since. We don't want to work longer that about 30 minutes, so most of hers work. We love the kickboxing one, Extreme Shed and Shred, and Ripped in 30 is excellent also! We also like her Yoga dvd.

    Her dvds have helped me lose 15 pounds and keep it off. Also, if I didn't know my friend Rhonda was depending on me to show up every morning, I wouldn't get out of my warm bed and exercise. maybe you need a workout partner to make it easier for you this winter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Workout partners are definitely key! And what a great idea meeting at a community center!! I just ordered the kick boxing and ripped in 30 DVDs from Amazon and I can't wait to get them and try them out!!! Great job on your weight loss!! And thanks for stopping by today :)

      Delete
  4. I also use skinnytaste.com a lot. I'll be interested to hear what you think about the kickboxing DVD - I've been thinking about picking up the 30 Day Shred but maybe I will try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Samantha! I will definitely post about the kickboxing DVD as soon as I try it. I'm excited :) And oh my gosh...I just spent an hour on SkinnyTaste!! Awesome blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so sorry I am behind on reading!! I will be linking up Friday!

    ReplyDelete