Friday, January 4, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: Week 1 Back on Track

Happy Friday guys and welcome back for a brand new year!


For starters, I just want to apologize for being a sucky blogger and link-up host last week. I posted Fitness Friday and then I was on a mad dash to prepare for Blake's birthday party, then of course we had to recover from that party, enjoy New Years Eve, recover from New Years Eve...you get the idea. I got busy and really dropped the ball on commenting and thanking all of you who linked up. I just want you to know how much I appreciate ALL OF YOU!!! I can't wait to see what this year holds for all of us :)

Today, I am happy go report it has been a VERY productive start to the year for me!!!

Let's talk about HEALTH first. 

One of the resolutions I made this year was to be on top of yearly check-ups. I managed to make 5 appointments for the next few months to get myself all caught up on everything from dental cleanings to eye exams. I am so good about making appointments for the kids and keeping them up to date on every single thing. But I have really sucked at taking care of myself. But the dermatologist was my wake-up call and I feel good taking control of this part of my health.

And on the healthy eating front, we have been attempting some serious detox around here. I decided not to go cold turkey coming off the holidays because that's just not good for everyone. We still have lingering sweets and snacks but once those make their way out...I will not be buying more. Having them in the house is too tempting for all of us. Period. 

Also, I made my first meal plan for the year!!! Again, these recipes aren't exactly "diet" food, but they are cooked at home with fresh ingredients and that is really all I can hope for at this point. Here is our menu for this week:

Tuesday (New Years Day): Smoked chicken, mashed potatoes and garlic brussel sprouts.
Wednesday: Baked Chicken Chimichangas and Spanish rice.
Thursday: Roasted Chicken salads (using leftovers)
Sunday: Going out to eat :-)

I would like to note that my kids don't really eat all of these meals. Sure they will tear up some chicken and steak and Addie actually loves brussel sprouts. But neither of them are big on Mexican food and I can guarantee neither of them eats my stuffed pepper soup. So, we have some homemade pizza supplies on hand as well as some popcorn shrimp (my go-to for them when they are being picky). 

So did anyone else start meal planning to make healthy eating a little easier this month?

Next up...let's talk about FITNESS.

I just can't explain how good it feels to be back on track with working out!!! Here's what I have accomplished the first 3 days of the challenge:

Tuesday: TIU Girls Cocktail Dress Workout



Wednesday: Ran 2 miles on the treadmill and did 300 abs.

Thursday: 1 hour Yoga class.

Friday: Secret Admirer cardio workout from the Love Your Body Series. I have a treadmill, elliptical and a set of basement stairs. No excuses :-)


I will also try to get in a longer run this weekend, although judging by how much 2 miles hurt this week...my long run will be 4 if I'm lucky :-)

*****

So how did everyone else's first few days go?? Are you feeling motivated? Did you commit to anything new (like a gym, fitness class, race, Weight Watchers, etc.)? The big commitment I made this week was signing up for the Shamrock Shuffle 8K on April 7th. It is one of my favorite races in Chicago and last year I ran it in 55 minutes. This year I would LOVE to run it under 50...even if it's like 49:59. ha! I also have a few friends signing up with me which makes it even more fun!! I think another tutu is in my future :-)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to link up with you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh when I looked at your Secret Admirer workout and it said to walk at a 4.0mph..... I think I only run at like a 3.5.....lol And that's pushing it! :-)

    ReplyDelete