Friday, February 22, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: The Dreadmill

Yay! The one blog post I look forward to all week :-)


I am happy to say I've got another good week in the books guys! Even with a date night AND a triple birthday celebration, I still managed to lose another pound for my DietBet. Woot woot! I've got 2.1 more pounds to lose in like 10 days. It's going to be TOUGH, but I know I can do it if I get super strict this week. 

So let's talk about HEALTH.

The sad thing is...I don't even feel like I need to lose these last two pounds. If I was not committed to DietBet, I would probably stop right now and consider it a goal met. The whole purpose of signing up for this bet was to motivate me to:

1. Loosen up my jeans (they were holiday-snug)

2. Get back into a routine of exercising 5-6 days a week.

3. Start making better choices with food again and WATCH PORTIONS.

So now that I am almost 3 full weeks into this, I have accomplished these three things. My jeans are fitting the way I want them to, I've been logging some great exercise time and I have clearly learned to watch portions since I turned down an extra baked taco last night (even though I still felt hungry and they were soooooooo delicious!) I even brought veggies with a side of veggies to our triple b-day party this weekend!


But a bet is a bet and damn it...I am NOT giving up my money that easily. And to be honest, it wouldn't hurt to lose these last two pounds as a buffer. Hahaha! So that's where I'm at! I've been considering doing a cleanse of some sort to help with these last 2 pounds and do a little detoxifying, but what I realized after reading these plans is that there is NO WAY I can drink only juice and smoothies for 3 days. 

Not. Gonna. Happen.

Even though I have been losing weight, I have by no means cut out enough sugar and carbs. But, if I REALLY cut down on those this week (and toss the leftover Valentine's Day candy), I think I can get to where I need to be. This means I will have to skip the birthday cake this weekend and the days where I am having carbs for dinner (pizza and pasta) I will just have to majorly load up on veggies and other protein during the day. Damn diets!

So here is our menu for the week (starting tonight):

Friday: Homemade Pizzas with TONS of veggies.
Saturday: Birthday Party! 
Sunday: Pulled pork...but I'm going to skip the bun if I can resist.
Thursday: Leftovers

A big thanks to my girl Nina for having such an awesome blog full of amazing recipes and inspiration!

Now...let's get to FITNESS, shall we?

As I said last week, I've jumped on the Ripped in 30 bandwagon and as much as Jillian annoys me at times with her weird growling and ass-biting...I am digging this DVD a lot!! I am almost done with Week 2 and I am definitely feeling stronger! I still have to modify some of the moves (I royally suck at push-ups) but overall I am keeping up and sweating like a piggie!!


As far as running goes, I did manage to make it through my 4-mile Dreadmill run!! Clearly my calories were a bit off though. Damn it!


But I have to give a big THANK YOU to my fitness buddy Hannah for sharing a link to a great blog post titled "Treadmill Running Without Losing Your Mind". The tips really helped this week and I am hoping they continue to help because it looks like I will be indoors again this weekend. BOO!!

 In addition to exercising my body this week, I also exercised my mind at a great writing workshop on campus. Being a teacher is just my teeny tiny extra part-time job to help me keep my sanity and stay fresh in the classroom. But when I get to go to workshops and spend time with my colleagues, it always reminds me why I chose this career in the first place and why teaching English is the best job ever. I know it sounds silly...but it felt like a mental health day for me. And I needed it :-)

So friends...how was YOUR week?

9 comments:

  1. So proud of you as usual- you can kick those last 2.1 pounds!!! Whenever you want a glass of wine this week...just think of me, sipping my sparkling water out of a stemless wine glass ;) And? I hope you fall in love with that pasta. Thanks for the shout out! xxxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sparkling water it is this week. Damn it! But I will feel like a new woman at the end of it, right?!! I can't wait to make the pasta. YUM-O!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Jen! I found your link up this morning and am so excited to track my fitness with you each Friday! I am off for a 4 mile "Dreadmill" run this morning, so this was perfect timing! Have a lovely day!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the group Katie!! I just visited your blog and I love it. Thanks so much for linking up!

      Delete
  3. Oh hunny, you need to invest in a couple of pieces of winter running gear! They will save your sanity! I refuse to run more than 30 minutes on the treadmill and even that feels like an eternity! With the right gear, I feel great outside (as long as its over 20 degrees). I even forced myself outside this morning and just ran in the street on the side streets (since sidewalks aren't plowed)!
    Love the motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad thing is Kel...I have a ton of winter running gear but I typically can't hag out there if it's under 30. I'm a WUSS! But, I really could have gone today but then I ran into my second problem...no one to watch the kiddies. So treadmill it is but seriously...3 miles on that thing is my max. 4 last weekend was pure torture! And I run a whole mile a minute slower on that thing. BOO!! But thank you, as always, for the awesome motivation!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. You're awesome! You need to tr the pretzel chicken I made this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally just texted you for the recipe :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm always late to the party...but at least it is still Friday! :-)

    ReplyDelete