Friday, May 17, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: Breaking up With my Treadmill and Doin Some Juicin

Happy Friday peeps!


I haven't been this excited for a Friday in a LONG TIME! Of course I love this link-up, but the real reason I am excited today is because summer break has officially started for me!! Woohoo!! I've been buried in a pile of final exams and writing portfolios the last 3 days and when I submitted my final grades yesterday, I let out the biggest sigh of relief ever! It feels SO GOOD to be done with another semester of teaching and as much as I will miss being in the classroom this summer, I know fall will be here before I know it. That is why I need to enjoy every last minute of sunshine and freedom :-)

And speaking of sunshine, it has been a great week for outdoor running around here!! I've broken up with my treadmill for the season and it feels SO GOOD!! I know I will have to come crawling back at some point but for now, it feels good to look at some new scenery :-)


With Memorial Day right around the corner, I decided it was time to really kick things into gear with working out. I think it's that bathing suit hanging in my closet calling my name :-) 

I am happy to say that I worked out every single day this week (except Mother's Day)! Woohoo! 

SATURDAY: 3.5 mile run
SUNDAY: Mother's Day
MONDAY: 3 mile run
TUESDAY: Yoga
WEDNESDAY: Pilates
THURSDAY: 2 mile run and TIU Arm Pyramid
FRIDAY: Ripped in 30

I can't say every day was a slammin workout, but considering how busy I was, I will call it a success. It feels good to be motivated again and I just hope I can stick with it more consistently now that our schedule is going to be a little less crazy (I hope).

Next up...let's talk about HEALTH.

So my buddy Joe has just invested in a fancy juicer and has agreed to make some special juices for me. I can't say I am totally on board with a 3-day or 5-day cleanse yet, mostly because everyone who does it says they have NO energy to do anything when they are juicing and seriously...I barely have energy for my kids as it is...I can't imagine feeling more drained. 

However, I would very much like to substitute one meal a day and see how I feel. Joe says he has more energy and a lot of his allergy issues have cleared up just from substituting one or two meals. I tend to have a lot of tummy and indigestion problems and I've heard that juicing (and cutting out some grains) helps tremendously so I am willing to give it a try!! Especially now that I have a juicer hook-up.

And speaking of meals...

Our meal planning really took a dive this week. It's actually not that I didn't plan...it's just that I didn't execute very well. I blame it on all the grading I was doing and straight up lack of motivation. But this coming week will be different and I have some yummy summer food I have been waiting to cook.

I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE chicken kabobs on the grill. We don't make them often and I honestly don't know why because they are SO easy and SO freaking delicious! My favorite is barbecue chicken kabobs. All you need to do is cube some chicken breasts, cut up thick chunks of sweet onions, green peppers and red peppers. Skewer them and brush with your favorite BBQ sauce (we love Sweet Baby Rays) and then toss them on the grill!

This recipe will be a really easy go-to dinner this summer once our garden is up and running. Eric and I sat down at dinner last night and planned what we want to plant this year. Our list looks like this:

Tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes
Zucchini
Squash
Red Peppers
Green Peppers
Cucumber
Brussel Sprouts

I also want to plant some fresh herbs but I will be honest...I am a shitty gardner. I hate bugs, I hate sneaks, I hate weeding and I hate watering. Every year I tell Eric we should just skip the garden but then when we grill our first zucchini or I make my first fresh batch of garlic brussel sprouts...I am eating my words. I just need to learn to be a better gardner because there is something pretty awesome about growing your own food and knowing where it's coming from. My sis-in-law Diana is the MASTER at this sort of thing and I guess I need her to give me a few more lessons. Hint hint Di :-)

Alright guys...I think that's all the rambling I have for today!! I hope you all had a fabulous week and I can't wait to read about it!!

5 comments:

  1. I really wanted to try to garden this year. I just got to busy and missed the boat. One day! So glad you are finally on break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weather has finally gotten so nice! I have been getting some walks around the neighborhood in and enjoying all the flowering trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great week! It would be so nice to have summers off - enjoy. We planted a garden for the first time this year - keeping our fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! I think you are going to love juicing. Maybe do a part cleanse where you do two meals as juices and dinner as a meal. I totally want a garden!! Hopefully my starter plants dont' all die. They are looking pretty sad! have a great weekend. We need to be buddies on Nike plus. I think my name is Hannah Mae!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My poppy had a garden when I was growing up. It was so much fun to work in it with him. I think Addie and Blake will love to help.

    ReplyDelete