Friday, May 24, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: Deep Thoughts and a New Resource for Healthy Meals


Well it's here, my friends...Memorial Weekend. The kick-off to summer and BATHING SUIT SEASON!!!

{GASP}

I've been working really hard for this day. Running, exercising, trying to eat right. My body is still no where near where I want it to be, but I'm slowly learning to be okay with that because I AM trying. I turn down donuts, I do yoga before bed and I take my running shoes with me on camping trips. I am trying to be a healthy mom and that alone makes me proud.

Last week, I was talking to one of my students (who is also a mother) about running. She asked how I got started and the very first thing out of my mouth was, "To lose weight." That really is why I started. I wanted to lose those last stubborn 10 post-baby pounds and running seemed like the "easiest" way to do it. And I was right...it only took a few weeks to shed those 10 pounds and I was back in my pre-baby jeans before I knew it. I could have stopped then with Couch25K...but I didn't.

Half way through the program, something changed. I started caring less about the scale, and more about my pace and distance. I was becoming a runner and I didn't even know it. I felt myself wanting to run even when it wasn't a scheduled day on the training plan. I loved it. I really, really loved it and actually looked forward to lacing up my shoes and hitting the pavement.

That was almost 3 years ago and I still love running just as much as I did then. I still find it therapeutic and fun, as long as I don't start taking myself too seriously. It's natural to feel competitive with any sport and I am definitely competitive with myself at times. I want to beat my PRs, I want a sub 8 minute mile someday and I want to finish another half marathon. But as soon as I start worrying too much about that stuff or on how quickly the scale is moving...the fun is gone. I think even the best athletes in the world feel this way when they start stressing over performance, which is why ALL of us need a reminder from time to time.
I love this quote so much. It's what got me thinking about all this today...the true reason I run. I am lucky that I am healthy enough to do it, that I have the time to do it and most importantly...that I have the drive to do it. I never want to take that for granted :-)

So that's my FITNESS inspiration and deep thought for the week. Ha!

And here is a little recap of my workout schedule. I am happy to say I worked out {almost} every day again AND started a new challenge!!

FRIDAY: Yoga
SATURDAY: Ran 5 miles {9:19 average pace. Woohoo!}
SUNDAY: Rest
MONDAY: Ripped in 30
TUESDAY: Ran 2 miles
WEDNESDAY: Yoga
THURSDAT: Ripped in 30 and the new 300 Ab Challenge

I am hoping to have a similar schedule this week with a few more runs thrown in {hopefully}

Next up, let's talk about HEALTH.

Overall, this week was decent in terms of eating, only because I didn't prepare many big meals. Eric and I ate at different times so while I was feeding the kids, I would make myself a big ass salad and chow done while standing at the kitchen counter. Not exactly the best way to eat, but whatever. It got the job done.

Sadly, I didn't try any new recipes this week but I do have one planned for this coming week that I am DYING to taste. It's called Cool Ranch crockpot chicken and it sounds absolutely AMAZEBALLS!
I got this recipe from one of my new favorite recipe blogs, Family Fresh Meals. When you have some time to browse, check out all the delicious, fun recipes she has to share. I love that all of her meals are fresh, creative and EASY!!

Well guys...that's all I have for today's installment!! I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Weekend!!


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that! I am trying SO hard to get into that mindset right now. I love running so much, but I hate that I let the competitive part of it get to me, so thank you for the reminder the just enjoy it and not take it too seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think a lot more people would enjoy running if they realized it's not about comparing your speed/abilities to others - it's just about getting out and feeling good...freeing. And that recipe sounds delicious. Pinned it! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! Where do you do your yoga? Do you have any videos you recommend? I'm gonna check out that challenge! Have a great holiday weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done it again Jen! You ake me want to go out right now and run, but at 11 pm that is not going to happen! This weekend we got a little off of our walking because we were out of town, but if I can count walking down the beach and climbing rocks to get to and from the beach a workout then YES, I did get some workout time in. Our hotel fitness room was closed for remodeling. =(

    ReplyDelete
  5. You inspire me so much. I've been so crazy lately (I STILL need to text you with my measurements I'm awful) that I fell off the running wagon but I'm trying to get back on. Thanks for always sharing your story and just being plain encouraging!

    ReplyDelete