Friday, May 3, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: May Goals & a New Personal 5k Record...FINALLY!

Happy Happy Friday friends!!! It's my favorite day of the week!


I would like to start this post with a little confession:

I've only worked out twice in the last two weeks.

I KNOW!!!! I feel so ashamed.

I can easily blame it on so many things. Eric's overtime and insane work schedule (which really has been tough), the kids crazy schedules, my crazy schedule, whatever. I don't want to say that I haven't had time because the honest truth is...I have had time. Maybe not much time, but certainly enough time to pop in a DVD or go for a run on the treadmill.

But I have been choosing not to. Every time I would get the desire to do Ripped in 30 or go for a quick run on the treadmill, I would look at my ToDo list and decided that other things were more important. And I was able to convince myself that it was okay, as long as I worked out the next day. Or the next day. Or the day after that. But now here we are, at the end of the week and I haven't worked out ONCE!!! In fact, the last time I exercised was on Saturday when I ran my 5K.

I gotta tell you guys...I was NOT looking forward to this race. We had so much going on at the house with the garage sale and knowing that I would have people waiting on me to get back home made me feel TOTALLY stressed. I also didn't know many people at this race and it was the first 5K I have ever done without a buddy. I just stood by myself, listening to music and warming up. I actually thought about hopping back in my car and driving home. But it had been almost 5 days since my last run and this was at least an opportunity for me to exercise outside on a beautiful morning.

So I decided to stay and run and I am SO HAPPY I DID!!! For one thing, the weather was simply gorgeous and the course was nice and flat. No hills or obstacles...just a nice smooth road race. I listened to music, high-fived all the cute kids cheering us on and just enjoyed myself. I knew that I was keeping a good pace but I didn't know my time until I crossed the finish line and my Nike app announced that I just ran my fastest 5K ever!!!  


I was so freaking excited! My fastest 5K ever was 28:55 and I set that record in 2011. It felt really good to beat it by so much, especially on a day that I didn't expect to run well. I ended up coming in 35th place (out of 135) and was the 12th female to cross. I will never see numbers like that in a big race...but it certainly felt good nonetheless :-)

I have another 5K this weekend but again, I am not going into it feeling too confident considering I haven't worked out or ran all week.

Which of course brings me to my May Goals. To put it bluntly...my April goals sucked ass. I totally failed across the board, both with running more miles (remember my run 50 miles in 5 weeks goal?) and eating better/getting back to meal planning.

BUT...May is a new month and I am excited to start fresh. 

Again. 

Famous words spoken by a true yo-yoer.

To give myself a little added motivation, I did two very necessary things.

1. I tried on my bathing suit.

2. I bought a new workout top.


I highly recommend both of these activities if you are feeling less than motivated to workout this week. The bathing suit (after only a month of slacking on workouts) did NOT look the way I wanted it to BUT my new tank from Ruffles with Love did!! SO freaking cute. I can't wait for it to warm up around here again so that I can wear it :-)

Next up...lets talk about HEALTH.

Like I said, I am working really hard to get back on track with meal planning. I have been doing so well this year but the last month of craziness has made me fall into my old routine of planning meals on a whim, realizing I don't have the right ingredients, and ordering chinese instead. For me, skipping meal planning doesn't just hurt the wallet...it hurts the waistline too!!

As I said last week, I've been really excited to get started with emeals but sadly, this weeks menu was not that appealing to me. I want to give them another chance though because the idea behind this website is so genius. Does anyone else use emeals? What do you think of it so far?

I am going to experiment more this week, but in the mean time, I want to share the most UNHEALTHY (but most delicious) recipe ever with you. My friend Michelle gave it to me a month ago and this is already the second time I've made it. It's called cheeseburger soup and it is A-MAZING!!! Make it this weekend and thank me Monday :-)

Now, before I go, I want to make sure and write down my May Goals just so I can try to stay more accountable this month. Here goes:

1. Run 50 miles this month.

2. Sign up for another race.

3. Do Yoga 3 times a week.

4. Eat at home 5-6 nights a week.

Hold me accountable guys!

11 comments:

  1. Life just gets in the way sometimes and there is nothing you can do about it. Don't feel too bad. I missed a whole month and i was SO lazy getting back into it. Do a mid month goal check in and it;ll keep you going. Keep up the good work Mama. You are the reason that I am keeping up with my fitness. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I almost forgot... CONGRATULATIONS on your new PR. That is an amazing time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on your PR!! That is awesome! I have been slacking too. But like you said it's a new month. We are going to start P90X so I'm looking forward to that. And we have two 5ks planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! And don't even worry about ordering Chinese, I ate far to many cupcakes yesterday, and I'm past worrying, you'll get back into exercising in no time, you've been so motivated and inspirational so far :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the PR! And don't feel guilty, I am not even able to link anything up with you today because I have absolutely ZERO to report. I didn't exercise or eat anything of any nutritional quality AT ALL while on vacation! I do feel a little bad about that, but it was so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just starting to get back into exercising. Our baby is 8 weeks old and sleeping better so I really have no excuse anymore to not be working out. I even went out for a walk this morning since I couldn't fall back asleep. My motivator was trying on all my summer capris and shorts and I cannot button one pair comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the 5k! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're awesome not matter how lame you feel! :-) Love that tank!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoop whoop!! Great job on the 5k! I need that tank, like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your PR! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! And I LOVE that tank. Must have.

    ReplyDelete