Friday, May 31, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: Pinterest Edition

Happy Friday Peeps! It's Health & Fitness Time!


Can you believe that tomorrow is JUNE 1st?!!! I have absolutely no idea where this month has gone. I feel like just yesterday I was writing down my May fitness goals and here I am...doing it again already!!!

Last month, I set only a few goals for myself:

1. Run 50 miles.
2. Sign up for another race.
3. Do Yoga 3 times a week.
4. Eat at home 5-6 nights a week.

Sadly, I did not meet a SINGLE GOAL this month!!

Isn't that pathetic? I am such a goal oriented person...I HATE this feeling of not being able to check one thing off my list. The perfectionist in me wants to cry and beg for a do-over, but the optimist in me wants to say, "HEY!! You did run 30 miles this month, and did yoga a lot, and ate at home as much as you could with your crazy end-of-the-school-year schedule. That all has to count for something, right?!!" 

The answer is YES JEN!!!

I just need to keep telling myself that. June is another month to start again :-)

And so, I am going to keep all of my same goals for June in an attempt to redeem myself. But at the same time, I am going to try harder to focus on the overall goal, which is to just...


So with that in mind, I would like to share some of the fun little workouts I am going to try to do on days when I am strapped for time. All of these workouts I have pinned to my Get In Shape Girl board on Pinterest.


Flat abs

I know I said last week that I was going to commit to the 300 abs challenge again but I just get SO TIRED of doing the same moves. So I gave this routine a try this week and I loved it. I was definitely feeling the burn :-)

Next up is the Lean Arms Pyramid from Tone it Up girls. I have linked to this before but it is still one of my favorites to do while watching TV.
 
And finally, I found this great new stretch routine for after runs. I can't find the actual source, but I have it pinned to my Running board on Pinterest.


So is anyone else totally guilty of pinning workouts on Pinterest and NOT trying them? I am so freaking bad about that. But maybe this can be the month I try some new ones out and share them with all of you guys! And of course, if you have a fitness Pinterest board, be sure to share the link in comments so we can all follow each other!

Now...moving on to HEALTH.

One of my health goals for the year has been to make sure that I am scheduling all of my important check-ups. Dentist appts, Lady doc appts and most recently...my dermatology appts. Ever since I was diagnosed with that minor skin cancer in the fall, I have been crazy about checking my body all the time. In fact, when I went it for my 6 month follow-up this week, I had like 9 places to show her. Luckily, none of them looked bad or "suspicious" to her so I got a clean bill of health this time!! I will still have to continue 6 months check-ups for the rest of my life...but it's a small price to pay for catching things early!

Now, I know this is the point where I talk about how we ate this week, but I suppose that's already been covered both in my camping post and in my failed goal above. We did not eat great this week and I certainly didn't watch portions of anything over the weekend. I have a MAJOR problem with snacking. In fact, I could honestly skip all big meals and just snack throughout the day. I suppose that would be fine, IF I picked the RIGHT snacks. 

If you have the same problem, here is a great list of 100 Calorie Snacks.

31 Satisfying 100-Calorie-Snacks

and here a few more.


I also found this fun Smart Snacking Shopping List.



And this list of snacks that make great Antioxidants.



So all you healthy snackers out there...what do you snack on during the day? I know fruits and veggies are an obvious choice but let's get real...sometimes a girl needs a little more :-)

4 comments:

  1. LOVE all of these pins! I need to pin them all myself. I snack on trail mix mainly. Sometimes almond butter and bananas but that is high in calories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome! I can't wait to try those arm and ab workouts! I love workouts I can do at home in front of the TV, sometimes its so much easier to get myself to do them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, thanks for the pins! Tons of great information!!!

    ReplyDelete