Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thoughts on Mother's Day

When I was a little girl, one of my FAVORITE things to do for my mom on Mother's Day was bring her breakfast in bed. We had this old tin tray that was my grandma's and I would set it up cute with some flowers I picked from the yard. Every year it was the same meal...toaster waffles and a cup of coffee.

I would also clean the house for her (I LOVED to clean as a kid) and it took me almost 30 years to realize just how awesome of a gift that must have been for her. It's all I want for mother's day this year...someone to come clean my house and do laundry :-)

Now that I am older, and a mother myself, I look at Mother's Day a little differently. It isn't about the gifts we give (although we do still spoil the shit out of her) or the toaster waffles we bring to her room in the morning...it's about appreciation. Appreciation for someone who sacrificed everything for her kiddies (and their kiddies) for 30+ years. I am the mom I am today because of her and all that she has taught me about love, compassion, patience and forgiveness.


All I can hope is that when my babies grow up and become parents, they will think of me the same way.


And I pray EVERY SINGLE NIGHT that Addie and I will always be as close as my mom and I are.


These two made me a Mama...

And they are the only gift I need this year. 


But a pedicure wouldn't be bad either :-)

4 comments:

  1. I used to LOVE my waffles and coffee! It was always the best Mother's Day present ever! Can't wait until Addie can do it for you! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are adorable! I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete