Friday, June 7, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: The Half Century Club & A Delicious Green Smoothie Recipe

Happy Happy, Joy Joy! It's F.R.I.D.A.Y.


The longest week ever has finally come to an end! Woohoo!!

So let's start this week's link-up with FITNESS, shall we?

I'll just say it guys..this week has kicked some serious fitness ass for me!! I worked out almost every day again and I already have 10 miles logged for June. My goal is to join the "Half Century Club" (50 miles in a month) since my friend Aimee is going balls out and attempting to join the "Century Club" and run 100 FREAKING MILES THIS MONTH!

Aimee can totally do it, too. She is one of the most dedicated runners I know, besides my girl Hannah. In fact, odds are these two will be neck-n-neck this month on my Nike+ app.

Speaking of apps...are all of you runners out there using Nike+ to track your runs? If not...you totally should. They have made so may awesome upgrades to the app and I just love that you can see how your other running buddies are doing each week/month. Seeing my other friends log miles motivates me to get out there and do more!! This week, for the first time, I was at the top of my Nike+ Friend Board for a whole 24 hours.



And then reality set in and Hannah, Aimee and Tim all took their rightful places ahead of me. And Amanda won't be far behind. Ah well...they keep me running and on track and that's the job of a true running buddy. It's not about competition...it's about motivation!!


If you are a runner, odds are you knew that Wednesday was National Running Day. I pledged 4 miles to Run Now for Boston and I made myself a little badge to show everyone why I run...


So... did all of you run this Wednesday?

Next up, let's talk about HEALTH.

Eating was much better around here this week. I am starting to meal plan again in the hopes of getting on a better routine this summer. I didn't really try anything new this week, but I do have a healthy Corn Chowder recipe from Taste of Home that I am making tonight with some fresh corn bread as a side. Yum Yum!

Corn Chowder Soup Recipe

And like I said in my last post, I am wanting to start substituting breakfast for juices and smoothies. I've tried a few protein recipes before but this week, I really wanted to try a "green" smoothie, even though the thought of drinking spinach makes me want to puke in my mouth.

But guys..this Just Peachy green smoothie from Skinnytaste was AMAZING!!! I am not kidding...it was delicious. You couldn't taste anything but the peaches and the banana. And the best part, I used the organic spinach from my cousin-in-law Katie's garden. Score!

high protien shake with hemp seeds, spinach, peaches and bananas

I think spinach is the one green I will be able to handle in my juices and smoothies, as long as I don't think too hard about it. Haha!

So guys...how was your week in health & fitness?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted that smoothie recipe!!!! I'm going grocery shopping today and it's just what I needed to see as a guide. I really want to get into the whole green smoothie thing - especially since I'm gluten free now and NEED those calories! :) I'm also headed off to the gym now! Gonna attempt to get a mile in, but we'll see. :) I'm also starting the 300 Ab Challenge. Oh God. Pray for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! You are gonna do it. I was thinking about you and thinking all the fun ways you can accomplish this. You've got 5 weeks this month and only need 10 miles a week. you could do a 4 mile run and a 6 miel run. or two 5 mile runs. Anyway, keep it fun!! You're gonna feel great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummo! That smoothie sounds like a must try!
    Awesome job with your runs girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love green smoothies! So does my toddler - sometimes it's the only veggie he eats for days! :)

    ReplyDelete