Friday, June 28, 2013

Health & Fitness Friday: Staying Cool When Exercising in the Heat

Happy Friday Peeps!! It's time for


It feels like only yesterday that I was whining on Health & Fitness Friday about our never-ending winter. I was complaining about the cold and snow and the fact that I had to wear 20 layers just to go 3 miles. All I wanted was the sun.

So now that the sun is finally HERE...I shouldn't be complaining, right?

Well...if you are a runner/walker/outdoor exerciser, you know it's hard not to complain in any weather extreme. We bitch when it's too cold and bitch when it's too hot because both temperature extremes mean one thing...

WE HAVE TO WOROUT ON THE TREADMILL!!! AHHHHHH!!!

It's actually pretty amazing what some of us will do to NOT have to run on the treadmill. We will run in snow boots and a parka in the winter, and we will wear things like becool bands...




TONGA TEAL


Or even this darling little cooling vest...

Web_Hyper_Vest_Cool_Large

All so we can stay outside and beat the heat.

These gadgets seem great and I really wish I would have known about an ice vest BEFORE the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon last year. But if running with ice vests, scarves and wristbands isn't your thing, there are some other useful tips for beating the heat this summer. Here is a super funny (but practical) list from Shut up and Run, but overall...the tips seem to be the same no matter where you go. To beat the heat on your summer runs/walks, you should:

1. Stay hydrated (most important rule of all).
2. Exercise early in the morning or late in the evening.
3. Wear a hat or visor.
4. Pick a trail with shade (not to be confused with a "shady" trail).
5. Wear light clothing (or run Nakie)

I did the best I could to beat the heat with all of these tips and tricks but I still couldn't hang. I had to run on the treadmill and it was just as boring as I remember.

BUT I HAVE A GOAL TO REACH PEOPLE!!!

 I set out for the third time to run 50 miles in a month and I am only 10 miles away!! Sure...I only have 3 days to get in those 10 miles but damn it...I am going to do it! I am so close I can feel it!! How is everyone else doing with their June Fitness goals??!!

Next up...let's talk a little bit about HEALTH.

Over the next two weeks, I am really going to be putting some of those "healthy BBQ" tips from last week to good use. Between camping and family BBQs, it's going to be a non stop chow fest around here. But if I know there is going to be and endless amount of crappy food at these shindigs, then I need to make my dish to pass a little healthier. One of my favorite healthy apps to make lately (thanks to my mother-in-law) is this Black Bean and Corn Dip, which some people call Texas Caviar.

So. Freaking. Delicious.


Here is what you need to make it:

1 Red Pepper, chopped
1 Red Onion, chopped
3 Avocados, chopped
1 can of Rotel (drained)
1 can of Sweet Corn (drained)
1 can of Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
1 packet of Dry Italian Dressing Mix

Mix all ingredients together and chill in the fridge. You can serve it with Tortilla chips or just eat it as a salad! Eric and I like to take our leftovers of this dip and put it on grilled chicken breasts with a little pepperjack cheese. Like I said...so freaking delicious!!

Alright guys, that's all I have for today!!! I hope you all have an AMAZING 4th of July week!!!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE Texas Caviar, so tasty!! That ice vest cracks me up...I wonder how comfortable that thing would be?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came across your blog, love it! It's so important to be smart and run wise in the heat! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE texas caviar!! One of my favorite Summer meals. Delish! You are totally gonna get that 50 miles. I bet you will even go over. You are doing great Jen!! Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete