Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Our Second Half of Summer in a Nutshell

After recapping our First Half of Summer in a Nutshell, I swore I'd be better about posting more often on the blog. Yet here I am...recapping our SECOND half of summer in one post. Ha! Oh well...it's more fun this way anyway :-)

So the second half of our summer kicked off with a fabulous family vacation to Holland, Michigan. Dana and I took one for the team and let the guys drive alone in the truck pulling the camper, and we took ALL FOUR KIDDIES along with us.


We all had the BEST time and you can read all about our trip here.


Eric and I are in love with Holland and can't wait to go back!!


Even though we had a blast on vacation, I was so happy to get home to my own bed! We had camped for almost 3 weeks straight and there were so many other things I wanted to fit into the summer. So we cleaned up our home-away-from-home and put her back in storage for the time being.

This summer, three really awesome movies came out for the kids. Monsters University, Despicable Me 2 and Disney's Planes. I figured we would try to see at least one of these movies but in the end, the kids ended up seeing ALL of them!! My parents took them to see Monsters University, I took them to see Despicable Me 2 (which was one of the best kids movies I have ever seen. HILARIOUS)...


And then Eric and Blake had a special Boys Night Out and went to see Planes last week.


Blake is now obsessed with Planes and insists he needs ALL the characters.

Another thing we really wanted to do this summer was squeeze in some playdates with friends but the time just went SO FAST and we didn't get to see everyone we had hoped to see :-( But...Addie did get to spend some time with her buddy Kennedy...


And we got a special visit from Aunt Tara and the twins...


This is Blake's idea of flirting with them. Ha!


We also got to spend a morning with Auntie Marie and we spent a few afternoons lounging and loving on Great Grandma...


We didn't get as much time as we wanted in Nana and Papa's pool {mostly because it wasn't warm enough around here} but we did make the best of it the days we could :-)


I guess one of the best parts of this summer was getting to spend so much time with my niece and nephews. We got to see and play with baby Owen a few times...


And he even came down to join us for our town's parade!


I swear he was happy about it too :-)


This year, Addie, Nia and Audrey were able to walk in the parade and pass out candy with Eric's uncle Dave. The girls thought this was pretty much the coolest thing ever!!



And trust me...the boys were totally fine with not walking. They were too busy grabbing candy...


Checking out all the awesome tractors...


And hanging out with random weird guys in full body suits.


Our town's parade is part of our weekend-long festival that includes a 5K, which I was able to run again...


As well as a big carnival!




Blake still isn't quite tall enough for a lot of the rides that Addie can go on so Eric took her and I took my little dude to get the biggest snow cone I have ever seen :-)


Nolan was nice enough to ride some of the smaller stuff with Blake too. Next year buddy...next year!!


As a side note...can I just express how much I hate carnivals?!! Yuck.

But at least there was a great fireworks show afterwards!! The girls gave us a little performance before it started. They are calling themselves "The Princess Band"


My sis and brother-in-law have the PERFECT view of the fireworks from their front yard so we all took our seats just in time. Their faces in this picture are priceless.




I really love our small town in the summer. They do so many fun things for the kids, and one of which is Movie in the Park. They do one each month but due to our camping schedule, we were only able to make it to the August movie. They played Rise of the Guardians and even had a big Easter Egg hunt to go along with it.



We actually made movie night another "playdate" with our friend Natalie, who was celebrating her birthday that night!


Addie, Audrey and Natalie have gone to preschool together for the last two years but now they are going off to different Kindergarten classes :-(  I am just so glad the girls have stayed such good friends and look forward to all the playdates yet to come :-)


I know it may seem like the kids were the ones having all the fun this summer, but Eric and I got to have a little fun too! At the end of July, we went to see our FAVORITE band ever.

TRAIN!!!!


And this time we went with some of our buddies and we had an absolute blast.


And trust me...the kids did NOT mind the nights they were away from us this summer. They are so lucky to have two sets of grandparents and an Aunt and Uncle that are ALWAYS inviting them over.

In fact...I think Addie and Nia set a world record for most sleepovers in one summer :-)


And a world record for most outfit changes in one summer. Ha!


I don't think these kids even realize yet how LUCKY they are to have each other and how lucky they are to be able to look back on all these memories when they are older.


We have had an amazing summer. Maybe the best summer ever and even though I am a little sad to see it go, I am also very excited for the school year ahead. We've been busy cramming in all of our doc appointments...


And I actually witnessed a MIRACLE this past week when Blake sat through his entire cleaning at the dentist without a PEEP!! I can't express how huge this was for both of us...it was just the boost of confidence I needed before sending him off to school in 2 weeks. He was SUCH a big boy and I couldn't be prouder of him!!


And I'm proud of my baby girl too. NO CAVITIES for either of them. Yay!!



And speaking of school, tonight is Addie's Kindergarten Orientation and she can't wait to meet her teacher! This is it my friends...school is back in session!!


Bye bye summer!! It's been a blast!!



1 comment:

  1. So many great pictures! Looks like such a fun summer! We don't start school until September 3rd, but these next few weeks will FLY. I'm just excited for Thanksgiving/Christmas. ;) I know you are too!!!

    ReplyDelete