Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Planning for Thanksgiving & a Pumpkin Surprise

On the contrary to what most of my friends and family believe, I DO celebrate Thanksgiving. I may have my Christmas tree up while I am serving Turkey...but whatever :-)

Eric and I have been hosting Thanksgiving at our house since we got married and although we do have our routine down (Eric works the turkeys and I prepare sides, decorate the house and set the table), the day can still be chaotic if we don't have lists to follow.

So yesterday, as I sat down to do my 100 Days to Christmas daily challenge (which was to plan my Thanksgiving Menu) I decided I needed some cute printables to put in my planner/home management binder. I set out to just make two, but ended up making 5. Ha! I have a sickness :-) But I know I am not  the only Thanksgiving Warrior preparing for a feast this year, so I am sharing all of these fabulous printables with you!!


You can download all of these printables on our shop blog.

I really have SO MUCH to be thankful for this year. Our family has had lots of little health scares the last few months and we've managed to come out it with nothing more than a gluten intolerance. And I all have to say to that is BRING ON THE GLUTEN-FREE PUMPKIN PIE!!

Gluten-Free Pie Crust with LIBBY’S® Famous Pumpkin Pie Filling

And speaking of pumpkin, my brother Ryan & Sis-in-law Meagan have a very special pumpkin treat for us this year...


That's right folks!!! Ryan and Meagan are expecting their second baby, who we just found out is a BOY!!!!!!! We are over the moon excited and we will be welcoming our newest pumpkin in March :)

You see? SO MUCH to be thankful for this year.

So let's talk menu now, shall we? Eric and I always prepare two turkeys...one he deep fries (or smokes) and one we make in the oven. We have tried several brines and recipes over the years, but this one looks SO DELICIOUS...we may have to give it a whirl.

Turkey with Brown-Sugar Glaze

This is Martha Stewart's Roast Turkey with Brown Sugar Glaze.

If you've ever deep fried or smoked a turkey, you know that it almost NEVER comes out on time. Last year, we had to do some extra waiting around and I was wishing we had more appetizers set out. But I am tired of the same old thing, so this year I am going to give this Hot Spinach & Artichoke Dip a try.



Does anyone else do appetizers on Thanksgiving? I would love some other ideas.

If any of you are in planning mode like I am today, here are so other great resources I cam across this week.

If you want to set a more formal table for Thanksgiving this year, The Classy Woman gives some fantastic instruction and has some great diagrams.



As always, my girl Martha Stewart has some fabulous inspiration for decorating your home and table, but I especially love the ideas she has for the kids!

good-things-placemat-mld107720.jpg

And one of my favorite resources comes from Organized Christmas and it's a list of Turkey Talk Hotlines! Who knew there was such a thing?! But they have created a list of hotlines where you can talk to "experts" on cooking times, baking techniques, food safety and more!

Thanksgiving Turkey Helplines

So does anyone else have any fun resources for Thanksgiving? I'd love for you to share in the comments!!

Happy Hump Day friends and thanks for stopping by today!

3 comments:

  1. I love doing apps on Thanksgiving. I usually do stuffed mushrooms, and they go so fast! http://chicagogirlaroundtheworld.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-appetizer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make stuffed mushrooms and they are the bomb! Remind me and I will send you the recipe. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice BlogSpot!

    RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete