1. Work is the reason I haven't lost my muffin top or back fat since having Addison. I mean, who has time to work out when you are a working mom? Apparently lots of moms find the time to work out even with a full time job so now I am REALLY screwed. I dusted off my elliptical today and just bought my copy of Post-Pregnancy pilates.
2. Work is the reason I don't eat healthier meals. I am "too busy" to pack a lunch so I eat out all the time. And, since I am so tired when I get home from work, there isn't always time to make dinner AND take care of the baby. So that is why we have Macciano's on speed dial. I think if Eric has to eat another calzone or beef sandwich...he might divorce me. So now I have to strap on my apron and learn how to cook other meals besides spaghetti and tacos.
3. Work is the reason I don't keep up with scrapbooking. For years I have claimed that scrapbooking is my hobby but aside from the one book I did for Addison while I was on maternity leave, I haven't scrapbooked since I had the pictures developed from my bachelorette party in 2006. And honestly...those shouldn't be lying around for Addison to see anyway so I better get to it. I am going to set up a table in my basement so I can make a mess and not have to clean it up each day. As any scrapper knows...that is half the battle.
4. Work is the reason I shop too much. I mean come on...I worked in downtown Naperville! 4 out of my 5 favorite stores were within walking distance for crying out loud. How was I suppose to resist? But now that we are minus one paycheck AND not within walking distance of any of my favorite stores...I think it is safe to say that I will be better about clipping coupons and watching our budget. That is if I can get Dana to stop calling me for shopping trips :-)
5. Work is the reason I forgot about my other hobby...writing. Although, I can't really blame work for this. I should make more time to write since that is the reason I wanted to major in English in the first place. I mean, I did write a children's book when I was 18. But then I fell in love with teaching writing and then later found my position in administration and it just sort of took a back seat to everything else in my life. And it will still have to take a back seat to Addie, but when I can sneak in some quiet moments to myself, I plan to get started again. Who knows, maybe I will be published by the time Addie goes to college :-)
I could keep going with my list...but I think you get the point. I have used work as an excuse for a lot of things. Sometimes I will miss having that excuse (like when I am scrubbing the toilets), but at the same time, I couldn't be happier to have these new responsibilities!! I am sitting in my living room drinking an ice tea watching Addison play in her gym. She is laughing and smiling at me and I am sure she is thinking what I am thinking...we are so lucky :-)